Thread: Picks

Default Picks

I'm an old guitar player and relative newby mandolin player.

Up until now, I've been playing my mandolin with the same picks I use on my guitar -- Fender 351 Shape celluloid Heavy. Someone recently gifted me a Gravity Stealth 4mm pick. I played around with the new pick for about two minutes and decided that it just felt weird.

Then I looked up the Gravity picks website. Given that people pay $12 each for these, versus the 35 cents that a Fender pick costs, there must be something good about them. Maybe it's a guitar thing, like Brian May's sixpence or Billy Gibbon's peso.

My question then is this: Does anyone here use a really thick pick like this? What do you like about them? Would it be worth my time to play with it enough to get used to it and then see if I like it?

Default Re: Picks

I have several of these as well as several more B.C. made to my specs. This thickness suits me just fine on the mandolin. They are the most amazing picks I've ever used and worth every penny.
    https://shop.bluechippick.net/products/CT55.html

Funny thing though, I don't use a pick at all on the guitar anymore. I play rock, country, electric and acoustic with fingers only. The last pick I used on electric guitar was a very thin, flexible one.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

If you do a little searching here on the Cafe, you will find lots of threads on picks: brands, thickness, size, shape, materials. Many (maybe most?) mandolin players tend toward thicker picks, although there are a fair number of folks who use thinner ones.

Opinions on picks, particularly among mandolin players, are a lot like that one, um, you know, body part--everyone has one.

Best advice: most picks are pretty cheap (there are exceptions like Blue Chip, Red Bear and Apollo, with Wegen and Primetone being less of exceptions), so get a bunch of different sizes, thicknesses, materials, and try them out. Start cheap, and if you find one that you like, there you are. Even if you do opt for one of the more expensive boutique-y picks and decide you don't like it, you can probably sell it here on the Cafe for about what you paid for it.

As always, YMMV, and remember there are few things more individual than pick preference. You should use what feels right for your hand and style, and sounds right to your ears.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMandoKit For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

GeeBee— I think that those of us who migrated from guitar have a whole different conception of pick variety. That 351 shape in the medium range was what I played all my life, so when I took up mandolin 9 years ago, it took me a while to land on a shape and thickness I liked for tone and ease of play. I think it is a great idea to try as many different pick shapes, materials and thicknesses as you can. You will find favorites and then you will fall in love with another type and so on, until you start to know what works best. I have several picks that I like including, Blue Chips, V Picks, Golden Gate Lg. triangle extra stiff, and Wegens. Lately I have been set on the Wegen 150 in black. It is a medium sized, rounded corner triangle with a 1.5 thickness. Fits the bill for me with most styles of music.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Check this thread on the Traveling Pick Sampler. If it's still going, add your name to the list and you'll be able to try out a whole variety of different brands, thicknesses and shapes. Chances are good you'll find one that you like.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...t=pick+sampler
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

8. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheMandoKit View Post
    If you do a little searching here on the Cafe, you will find lots of threads on picks: brands, thickness, size, shape, materials. Many (maybe most?) mandolin players tend toward thicker picks, although there are a fair number of folks who use thinner ones.

Opinions on picks, particularly among mandolin players, are a lot like that one, um, you know, body part--everyone has one.

Best advice: most picks are pretty cheap (there are exceptions like Blue Chip, Red Bear and Apollo, with Wegen and Primetone being less of exceptions), so get a bunch of different sizes, thicknesses, materials, and try them out. Start cheap, and if you find one that you like, there you are. Even if you do opt for one of the more expensive boutique-y picks and decide you don't like it, you can probably sell it here on the Cafe for about what you paid for it.

As always, YMMV, and remember there are few things more individual than pick preference. You should use what feels right for your hand and style, and sounds right to your ears.
    I second this recommendation!
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

I did the same when I started playing mandolin 'cuz that's what I had on hand. I find I like a more pointed pick for guitar with a lighter guage than the flatter, heavier picks I like for double courses. I've been experimenting with thumb picks from Black Mountain lately but still use Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5 picks for mandolin & family. For electric, I tend to stick with my guitar picks.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Blog Entries

I use the 351 shape from Dunlop in Ultex 1.0 mm. That is roughly the same as a Fender heavy but a stiffer material. Powerful and lasts a long time, for cheap.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

I think the OP deserves an answer that very few of us mandolin players would use a 4mm thick pick regardless of who made it. Most are playing 1mm-1.5mm or thereabouts. Some Celtic players like thinner since they do some very quick ornaments. The ultra thick 4mm AFAIK is used primarily by gypsy jazz guitar players.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

FWIW, I've found that shape and bevel are the most significant factors in whether or not I like a pick, followed by thickness and material. My personal preference is for large triangles with a RH bevel in the 1.2-1.5mm range. Blue Chip and Apollo (casein and PEEK) are my go-to picks, but if I only ever had a Primetone or Fender XH, I'd be satisfied.
    Mitch Russell

Resident Hack

Wegen and Primetone. If you haven't tried them, you can afford to.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

I’d second either Wegen or Primetone. The Primetone are probably easier to get hold of and you need to decide whether you prefer the ones with rounded or pointy corners. Ultimately, you should use what you feel comfortable with and I’ve found that different picks suit different instruments.

I’ve yet to be convinced that the really expensive picks are not a case of “The King’s New Clothes”. Mandolin players have got along fine without them for decades and, if you pay upwards of $30 for a pick, you’re bound to think it’s better than the cheaper ones, aren’t you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    if you pay upwards of $30 for a pick, you’re bound to think it’s better than the cheaper ones, aren’t you!
    I'm a good example of that, right in this thread! I tried the Gravity pick that was given to me, and didn't like it. Then when I found out it cost $12 I thought I should give it another chance. Well, I did, and I still don't like it. LOL

19. The following members say thank you to GeeBee for this post:

Ray(T) 

I like thick picks, but 4mm is REALLY thick. I use picks that thick if playing Gypsy Jazz guitar - I even have a 5mm Wegen - but on mandolin they're just too much. That said, I kind of like 2mm or 1.8mm. A good, cheap pick worth looking at are the Dunlop 208s. I've been carrying those around for decades.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.