Thread: Thomastick Light Strings

Default Thomastick Light Strings

Hello everyone, long time lurker here.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Thomastick-Infeld light mandolin strings. My favorite string vendor has them on sale so I'm tempted.

I currently have the “mittels” medium gauge strings on this mandolin and I love them. The low tension and smooth strings makes for almost effortless fretting. From what I have read they’re more equivalent to light gauge strings from other manufacturers and are safe for flat top mandos. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So as I’m looking toward my next string change, I’m wondering if I’ll like the TI lights even more.

The G string nut slots were filed a little low when I first got the M-11 a few years ago so there was some barely noticeable buzzing on the open G strings with the GHS medium-lights it came with.
    When I put the TI mittels on I had some severe string buzzing on the open G string. A small amount of super glue and baking soda to fill the slots and re-filing fixed that. I don’t want to have to do that again!

Any thoughts on TI lights? I might have to just try them on my old bowl back first.

Default Re: Thomastick Light Strings

Hi,

I use the mediums pretty much all the time. I have used the heavy and light at times as well and they have great playability and durability too. I used the lights on a vintage flatback instrument, that I thought would be best served by them.

I think if you like the tone, etc of the mediums you will like the lights. I suppose there must be some trade-off in volume between the different types, but it’s never been obvious to me, after a while I just know what type the strings were because of the different colour string binding they have. Hope that helps.

Regards,

I have TI lights on a flat top Northfield Calhoun and they work fine. Not as much volume as regular light gauge strings, but I don’t need max volume for playing at home. I don’t think I’ll keep using them in the future however, unless I can find them for at least 20% off, because the regular price has just gotten too high for my tastes.

If you like the TI mediums, I imagine you’ll like the lights as well.

4. The following members say thank you to Mojo for this post:

Thanks for the good information guys! I forgot to clarify this would be on a Big Muddy M-11. I love the TI mediums on it for playability and it sounds great too. I had to do some work on the nut because of the severe open string buzzing at the lower tension, even with trying the tallest bridge provided with the mandolin by Mike Dulak. So my main concern would be that these strings would be even lower tension and I'd have an open string buzzing problem again.

They are certainly lower tension than the mediums, no idea if that will cause you further problems for you though.

I like the TI’s but found the 154s (med) a little loose on my Northfield. I still liked them alot though and if the price ever comes back down (almost doubled from what i paid 2 years ago) I’d get some…care to share who has them on sale?
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I'm currently using lights on my '19 A3 and they sound great.

Thanks guys. And yes the sale I mentioned is at Strings and Beyond, if you browse to the Thomastick section there's a code for 10% off (not affiliated with them in any way) still pretty expensive. But they last a long time.

Edit: I just found on the web site the coupon code FOLK20 for 20% off which works on the TI mandolin strings. I'm going to try them on my old Montgomery Ward bowlback mandolin which currently has GHS A240 ultra lights.
    Last edited by thi; Mar-17-2022 at 10:12pm.

I like warm guitars. I use the T-1's exclusively on my old D-18 and they sound great.

I use Thomastik flatwound "mittel" - medium - strings on all my mandolins, including a Giacomel J5, and National RM-1. I use the Thomastik Plectrum AC111 guitar stings on my vintage Gibson guitars. I only change the mandolin strings once a year and they are fine after just wiping down. They cost about 45-50 USD a set here for the mandolin strings in Sweden but they are worth it. Thomastik strings are the best ones I have found for my use.
    2010 Giacomel J5 #86
    2019 David Šefl custom 2 point
    2008 National RM-1
    1941 National Style 0
    1968 Gibson EM-200

TI lights on a ‘24 Ajr. have sounded great for almost two years! Beautiful tones even when played with the lightest touch.

I use TI flatwounds on my bass, and I really like them.