Thread: In The Weeds with Chris Thile, a new series!

Default In The Weeds with Chris Thile, a new series!

I had a blast studying Tony Rice's playing and hopefully was able to share a small insight into what he does. I realized I didn't have a name for that series and I thought that should change for the next artists we cover.

So the series is now called In the Weeds. And if you clicked on this thread, you know Chris Thile is the next artist! This will be a challenging one in many ways, Chris has so many projects and so many great recordings that I'm sure I'll miss someone's favorite tune. But I thought a fun jumping off point would be his record Sleep With One Eye Open with Michael Daves.

Just like Tony's solos on Tony Rice Plays and Sings Bluegrass, I have transcribed all of Chris Thile's solos on this record and now in the process of figuring out how to share them. But for now I have tutorial videos of the solos from this record coming out that I will post in this thread. The first video is the solo "Loneliness and Desperation".

Please enjoy (and share your favorite Thile song while you're at it!)
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Default Re: In The Weeds with Chris Thile, a new series!

Cool! If you're ever in search of someone to focus on in the future, I'd love to see someone tackle Jeff Austin, both because I'm a huge fan but also because he has such a unique style that never seems to get the respect it deserves.

Default Re: In The Weeds with Chris Thile, a new series!

Alright, time for some more videos to drop this week! Got to bust a move if I want to get all of these songs off of Sleep with One Eye Open out there into the interwebs.

This time around we'll be taking a look at Thile's intro and solo break on "Cry, Cry Darling".

P.S. If you go to Youtube and look in the description there will be a link for the sheet music. Don't worry, the sheet music is free
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

5. The following members say thank you to Jake Howard for this post: