Thread: Casein picks problem

Default Casein picks problem

Hi folks,

I like the tone I can produce with casein picks (rich, clear and focused). However, every casein pick I tried except for those made by one company get deformed a few minutes (or sometimes seconds!) after I start playing with them and never revert back to their original shape. They sort of "bend" and feel concave. I can still play with them but they feel somewhat awkward.

Once that happens, is there anything that can be done to adjust them? I tried to gently bend them, heat them, and flip them over while playing but nothing worked.

It's a real shame since these picks are pricey and do sound good. Any tips?

Cheers

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Casein picks problem

I realize that this is an obvious question... do your hands sweat a great deal? Because moisture will destroy casein picks in short order. There is no recovering a damaged one to my knowledge. I constantly put a pick in my mouth when I am working with an instrument and a computer concurrently. That's how I learned about moisture damaging casein. I moved on and settled o Blue Chip as being the best alternative. Alas , they do produce a good tone. You could try talcum powder on your hands if that is indeed the problem...... otherwise IDK. Luck R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

So you can't just flip it and play it back the other way? I've done that with picks that warp.

4. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

Try Wegen picks. I've used them for 15 years for guitar and mandolin and they have no issues. Brilliant tone and volume.

6. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    Try Wegen picks. I've used them for 15 years for guitar and mandolin and they have no issues. Brilliant tone and volume.
    I second that, Jimmy. Wegen picks produce a great tone and have a nice bevel.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"