Thread: More than a screw loose, it's missing

Default More than a screw loose, it's missing

Who can point me in the right direction to acquire 1 screw. It's from my Randy Wood mando. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Missing Screw.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	200146  
    Bob D.

Default Re: More than a screw loose, it's missing

I would contact Randy to find what brand the tuners are and then contacting that company. If they have them, I'd order a couple extra. Or maybe Randy keeps them in stock? Good luck....most of us have had to spend days, weeks, months, etc., tracking down something as simple as a miniature screw. Unfortunately, it is mandolin specific item and not available at your local Ace hardware....

Blog Entries

They look like Gotoh tuners correct? Randy is GREAT, he'll give ya one.

Thanks guys. Not sure of the brand. They do look like Gotoh to me. I hate to bother Randy if there's another source.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1562.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	200147  
    Bob D.

The screw size is M2.3x10. You probably won't find one in a hardware store. The SAE equivalent is #2-64 x 3/8 round head. You might find those in stainless on the Fastenal site but they will be slot headed not Phillips and will be stainless and not gold. I never found those anywhere else. A few years ago a member from Asia (I don't remember the country) had sourced some gold M2.3X10 screws so they might be out there on one of the auction sites. Most of us have been stripping them off tuners for years but I haven't had a set of gold screws. I'd still ask Randy.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

McMaster-Carr (.com) has several varieties of 2-64 x3/8, black or passivated SS, different heads, but not Phillips, around $10/50, if 2-64 is a good enough fit. I doubt anyone is motivated enough to get small hardware gold/Ti nitride plated in tiny quantities, but some companies could do it.
    As usual, I can’t get to my shop much, but we do have way too much surplus hardware, including tiny, all in quantity, inherited from a succession of other companies, but if I remember, I can see what’s there next time. Free if it’s there. Did look for the scrap Vespel, but couldn’t find it. Maybe we did throw some things away!

I've searched for a lot of things in my life. D 18s, Mossman's, Snakeheads, F2s, 1937 00-18H and other cool Martins. And now 1 screw. I found everything but the dog gone screw. It's out there.....
    Bob D.

The irony, to me, is that this should cost a nickel, but (if located) will cost you time and postage and you may have to buy in ridiculous quantities....

in other words, somewhere between a nickel and the price of a new set of tuners........hopefully!

Blog Entries

I'll look tomorrow after I get home from the Cancer center. If I have one, I'll give ya it! KOOL? I'm sue I have a parts set! Mine will be an older Phillips head more than likely but I highly doubt they changed those button screws!

Adrian Minarovic

Many pro restorers will have boxes of old parts like worn tuners so asking around is the way. I may have one old set like that somewhere though I'm not sure it is gold. But I'm in EU...
    Adrian

The UK version of eBay has those screws, nickel plated from China at less than $2 for 10. I'd guess that they'd sell them to the US as well.

Search terms = M2.3 wood screw pan head.

Jewellers can gold plate, you'd have to check if they can plate over nickel.

If so, buy 50 or 100 and become very popular!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    The UK version of eBay has those screws, nickel plated from China at less than $2 for 10. I'd guess that they'd sell them to the US as well.

Search terms = M2.3 wood screw pan head.

Jewellers can gold plate, you'd have to check if they can plate over nickel.

If so, buy 50 or 100 and become very popular!

What comes up on the U.S. e-bay site with that search are wood screws which are absolutely not what you need or want for tuner buttons. What you need is an M2.3-0.4 machine screw. That corresponds to the 2-64 UNF thread. There is also an M2.3 x 0.45 thread spec out there which will not match. There are a number of sources that show up for 2-64, none gold plated. Amazon even has them in 1/2 inch length which would have to be cut off. McMaster Carr has the right length but as stainelss or black button head(Allen wrench)

Thanks all. One will turn up somewhere............
    Bob D.

You don't want wood screws you want machine screws. I spent about two months trying to get those screw sizes right. I have silver ones, I don't have gold. I was never able to find them in brass. When I was looking for them I was trying to make the Gotoh tuners look a little more like older traditional tuners so I was looking for round head slot drive screws. You probably will have a better chance of finding the panhead screw with a Phillips drive. I actually bought the M2.3 die with the idea of seeing if I could create the right screws. That didn't work but it proved my SAE screws would work and they did.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_d View Post
    Thanks all. One will turn up somewhere............
    That's what I meant when I said "Thanks all" Mike. I know what I need now. At this point the correct silver one will do.
    Bob D.

Hi Bob, I could send you three Gotoh screws. The catch is that none of them is both nickel plated and Philips. PM me, if you're interested. (I have no commercial interest here.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	200223

I've changed out many tuning machines and have a mess of spare machines, buttons and screws. I know I've got a few gold color Phillips head button screws. I don't know if they'll fit your shaft or not. Send me a message if interested.

A drop of low or medium strength Loc-Tite on the screw thread before screwing them in will help prevent future loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    Hi Bob, I could send you three Gotoh screws. The catch is that none of them is both nickel plated and Philips. PM me, if you're interested. (I have no commercial interest here.)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	200223
    Hendrik was kind enough the send 3 screws from Germany. One took care of my tuner, one took care of my Dobro. The middle one in the pic (gold/slotted head) is available if needed. PM me if interested. Thanks Hendrik!
    Bob D.

I am replacing the Grover 409G tuners on my F-5 and you're more than welcome to a screw or two if they will fit. The answer to that is unknown to me.
    Drop me a PM if interested.
    My Avatars' Indian name was - Snakes in Head
    Mine is - Runs with Beers