Thread: String windings for magnetic pickup mandolins?

Default String windings for magnetic pickup mandolins?

I'm sorting out a solid magnetic pickup 8 string, started as a standard Chinese production 'Telelin' which now has coil tapped Strat style humbucking blade pickups on (curved p'ups, flat fingerboard - hmm). I was surprised that it came OEM with PB GHS strings on, and even more surprised that the string balance with the original single coils wasn't too bad. I was expecting the PB winding on the Ds and Gs to shield the cores electromagnetically, but it seems like that doesn't happen to the degree I expected. What windings do you find work best with magnetic pickups on a solid 8 string, and do you mess with the string gauges to try to balance the strings, or put a graphic on it, or what? Thanks, Max

Blog Entries

Default Re: String windings for magnetic pickup mandolins?

Emando.com is a good source for string sets.

Bronze does not "shield" the strings, it is just not responsive.

Some relationship of short-scale seems to make the lower strings a bit strong for electrics -- I have some tilt on my pickups. I did use a magnetic pickup on my acoustic 10-string until I upgraded to undersaddle. Balancing the strings was not a problem except for the A, which benefited from a shorter pole piece (custom) pushed down quite far.

Although stainless steel can be non-magnetic, some alloys are responsive and stainless-wrapped work, if a bit cold/harsh in tone. Nickel-plated wrap is the standard magnetic string, and you can get pure nickel wrap.

These days I use ordinary nickel-plated wrap electric guitar strings, bought in bulk for my preferred gauges. Plain-wire A string is still strong but easier to balance against the nickel wrap strings.

For a weak E you can add a small piece of metal or small earring magnet on the pickup.
    Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar-25-2022 at 10:07am.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Nickle wound just like guitar strings .. I have D'Addario ribbon flat wound on my 8 string ..

Magnetic field would sense the steel core wire even if the winding wire is not ferrous. like Bronze or Monel ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I buy electric guitar strings individually for both my hollow body archtop Arrow G5 and my solid boody JBovier EMC-5.
    Usually D'Addarios, but I'm not too picky.

Daniel