Thread: Wireless mandolin connection

Default Wireless mandolin connection

I got a Xvive U2 wireless audio connection for my mandolin. I primarily want to use it for gig sound checks or for moving into the audience if needed for sound adjustments between sets. Use a K&K pickup. Does anyone have experience or suggestions with using the Xvive or a comparison to a Line 6 device?

Default Re: Wireless mandolin connection

I use that same setup. It works great. I'm not familiar with Line 6. I also use a K&K preamp but I don't know if I've tried that with the Xvive. You'd have to use the Xvive between the mandolin and the preamp to maintain the freedom. I know I called K&K once and they said it should work fine. I usually use the Xvive to go straight into the board.

I have a loar lm600 with k and k’s. I use the xvive. I have used it straight to the board and also in to a fishman tonedeq pedal i had. For the most part it works. I also used it to walk in front of the mains to hear the sound as i ran sound as well. Always charge it before a gig and it holds up for a decent amount of time. I never ran out of power, but our gigs dont go longer than 3 hours with breaks.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I used to have a line 6 wireless. Very convenient. Unfortunately, I thought the sound was poor when compared to a cable. It may have something to do with the impedance. It just didn't sound as good and I am pretty anal about sound. I went back to a cable. Sometime, I hope to try another wireless solution. Maybe a Shure, but I'm in no hurry to waste more money if it doesn't sound as good as a cable.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

We’ve started using wireless in my band. Currently we have one Sennheiser and one NuX. Both are working great so far. The NuX seems to be a bit crispier sounding and needed a little eq to mellow down. Both are running into ToneDexter. It is very liberating to be untethered!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Question Re: Wireless mandolin connection

I only watched a situation where the player used wireless kit to do their small house sound check.
    But it was an electric guitar , magnetic type, not a piezoelectric sound board pickup..

The issue of mega ohm impedance mismatch with gear produced for electric guitars is spoken of often..

Maybe the receiver will feed the preamp used for the Piezo signal de quacking in the signal chain.

good luck.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I had trouble with excessive clicking sound from the pick when going from my mandolin to a preamp (or direct to mixer) with an Xvive U2 and with a Getaria wireless transmitter. I switched from a preamp pedal to a ToneDexter and the problem went away. Now my only complaint is that the Xvive battery only lasts an hour and a half, making me think I got a defective one.

Thanks for the comments. Before trying the Xvive I would plug my cable directly into the sound system and could adjust the tone to be ok. With the Xvive I need to use the Pure Preamp to get rid of the pick noise. It would be nice if there was a standard method for dialing in the many preamp-amp knobs for good tone. At least it’s nice that I can sit back and clearly hear the tone from the amp.

Unfortunately room to room the tone that you like may differ depending on the room acoustics.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Follow up from my earlier reply…
    This thread inspired me to call Sweetwater and discovered that my XVive U2 is still under warranty and a new one has already shipped along with a return shipping label. Love those guys.

11. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

I use three line six g10s to a three way switch to a helix light no problems, one for violin , mando , nui, makes it real easy to switch during a song.

Hope I am not hijacking this thread but wondering if the is anyway to go wireless with my current set up. It is a AT Pro 35 mic. Sure would be nice not to be tethered.
    Thanks
    Last edited by JimKo; Mar-28-2022 at 9:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by JimKo View Post
    Hope I am not hijacking this thread but wondering if the is anyway to go wireless with my current set up. It is a AT Pro 35 mic. Sure would be nice not to be tethered.
    Thanks
    Yes. There are in-line battery-powered phantom power units available. I also use the AT 35.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elb2000 View Post
    I got a Xvive U2 wireless audio connection for my mandolin. I primarily want to use it for gig sound checks or for moving into the audience if needed for sound adjustments between sets.
    I have used it on my K&K equipped mandolin successfully for this very purpose, it's a HUGE help doing sound.

Having said that, there have been a few times where I felt like it was adding enough latency to be an issue [esp when we were not using a monitor] that made me default back to chords once the soundcheck is complete. It might be pretty insignificant [to my setup] sound loss, but when I start to notice latency going back to simple cables seems like less work on stage keeping in perfect synch with the bass player who has a chord [not like he could wander with a standup ....]

Just my experience. I bet higher end wireless would have less of the issues I encountered [which were rare, but quite noticeable a couple times].
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Just my experience. I bet higher end wireless would have less of the issues I encountered [which were rare, but quite noticeable a couple times].
    The Xvive U2 specifies the latency as 6ms which should not be detectable. I would expect there to be noticeable (~50ms) latency if I was standing 50 feet way from my band and listening to both the main speakers as well as my mandolin in hand. During sound check maybe I’ll try and play the mando quietly so I primarily hear the sound from the main speakers. I’ll check this out when I can get some distance from the main speakers.

you do know they make a wireless pro 35...... but i use the the cable .....unless your jumping around a lot or doing cartwheels and somersaults ...the a.t. 35 cable works great.

I use a Line6 Relay G50 with my K&K Mando, and it works wonderfully. I reached out to the folks at K&K when I was making my decisions and they confirmed that the impedance match was good to go.