Thread: In Memory of Dirk Mahling

Default In Memory of Dirk Mahling

[I hope this post is allowed here]

I am reaching out to notify the community of the passing of Dirk Mahling, following a battle with sarcoma.

I know he shared many fond moments with some of you here. At Zoukfest, sessions in the Boston area, and beyond.

He was especially fond of his Stephen Owsley Smith cittern which he continued to masterfully play on until his final days. There was actually a thread on his cittern on the cafe a few years ago: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...l=1#post745556

Dirk passed on March 18th (the day after St. Patrick's day). I hope that after he crossed the rainbow bridge there was a Guinness waiting for him at the Session in the sky.

Dirk instilled a passion for music in me where I know his legacy will continue to burn brightly as long as I'm around. I'm a bluegrass mandolin and clawhammer banjo picker, so any tips on getting started with the cittern are greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to Dirk's obituary: https://everloved.com/life-of/dirk-mahling/obituary/

Best Regards,
    Hendrik Mahling

2. The following members say thank you to russelshack for this post:

Default Re: In Memory of Dirk Mahling

He sounds like a very fine man. RIP
    David A. Gordon

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

We only ever met once, back in 98, but kept in occasional email contact. He was a very nice man and I hope you enjoy playing the cittern.

My best wishes to you and the rest of the family.

Thank you Graham. I have just started experimenting with his Herb Taylor zook. Learning GDAD tuning - wonderful to accompany my wife on the fiddle with.
    Northfield A5 Special
    Deering Goodtime Open Back

Blog Entries

Cancer is such a pestilence! I believe everyone has had family or has family and friends with this terrible disease! My Ma is a two-time rare breast cancer survivor, my stepdad is about to the end of his run with pancreatic cancer, it's a major bummer, he's a really good man, a very hard-working man all his life and work is what's keeping him going. Prayers go out to his family and friends!