Thread: Left Hand Thumb and Mando Playing

Default Left Hand Thumb and Mando Playing

The arthritis in my thumb is making guitar playing (chords) too painful. Thinking of trying the mando again or a dobro. As I understand it the thumb in mando playing isnt used in the same way as proper guitar chording, ie thumb in the middle of the neck. Anyone have similar experience?

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Default Re: Left Hand Thumb and Mando Playing

Don't know if the mandolin would be easier than the guitar because of the smaller neck size but on mandolin there are a number of chords where your thumb is at the back of the neck. I'm a long time (30+ years) mandolin player and have been running into the same problem with pain while chording because of pain at the base of the left thumb. This has been going on for several years. I play a lot of swing and have always played chords using all four strings. At this point I am using more simplified partial chords, diads and triads, plus just playing less chords period. Now a lot of my playing is fill, leads, and tunes which don't seem to bother the thumb as much. I think it was John Harford who said that "style is based on limitations". At any rate, keep playing, whatever and however you can.
    Peace

To add to what Ken said, it also depends on what genre of music you intend to play on the mandolin - for example if you were interested in playing irish traditional tunes, chord playing doesn't come into it really as the mandolin can play the melodies of the tunes and isn't commonly used for backing/chord playing in trad music, so the thumb tends to hang out along the side of the neck rather than braced against the back of the neck as in the playing of some chords.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

While true for classical guitar, thumb in the middle of the neck isn't "proper" position for chords on a typical steel string guitar. Not to discourage you from playing the mandolin, but you may be able to change your guitar position (or change your guitar).

One thing I would add - it might be that you're gripping too tight. Your thumb is more or less a guide to help and provides a little grip but shouldn't really have a ton of pressure - you could technically play find without your thumb honestly. I usually play a tune without my left thumb to show my students what I mean - but the main point is more pressure on the thumb is not going make the chord sound better.

If you're not sure if you're adding too much pressure, start by simply fingering a chord on the fretboard but NOT putting any pressure down. Just basically touching the strings. Start strumming and slowly add pressure to your fingers (not thumb) until you get a clean chord. Stop once you do.

Remember "The lighter the touch, the sweeter the sound"
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighLonesomeF5 View Post
    The arthritis in my thumb is making guitar playing (chords) too painful. Thinking of trying the mando again or a dobro. As I understand it the thumb in mando playing isnt used in the same way as proper guitar chording, ie thumb in the middle of the neck. Anyone have similar experience?
    The thumb lands where it lands. The middle of a guitar neck is something altogether different from the middle of a mandolin neck. In my case the thumb will usually land on the ceiling side of the neck, and slide in under it on barre chords (which I use only rarely). Just don't force it anywhere.

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with thumb pain! I have dealt with it before for years and here is what worked for me. I started my musical career as a classical guitar player and ended up stopping after over 10 years of playing because of left thumb pain. I tried mandolin to avoid the pain but I still felt it playing mandolin. Then, a few years ago I saw a Physical Therapist that specializes in working with rock climbers with finger injuries. It cost a chuck of money to work with her but it was the best investment I have ever made in my playing. She was able to give me exercises that corrected my thumb and helped deal with the arthritis in my thumb joint. Now I can play both guitar and mandolin pain free. I would highly recommended seeing if you can work with a PT who can help you get your thumb healthy before doing what I did and spending a ton of money on instruments to try to work around the pain.