Thread: The Japanese - Irish connection

Blog Entries

Default The Japanese - Irish connection

For thoes of you who don't know Dale Russ, a great West Coast American Irish fiddler and teacher, played with a guitarist named Junji Shirota. Jungi had moved back to Japan and I'd lost touch with his presence on recordings and then youtube videos.

A couple of years ago I found Dale playing with Junji in Japan. A great find I thought. But then I discovered Jungi's partner, Mareka Naito. Wow what a musician. An amazing fiddler who plays mandolin, concertina and Irish harp with superb skill and good taste.
    Apparently there are regular sessions in Japan and I'd sure like to be at one of them.

Here is a little project they made during the Covid 'lockdown'. I'm glad they are back.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Japanese - Irish connection

Junji is one of the few DADGAD guitarists that I really enjoy. Interestingly, Bluegrass is huge in Japan too. Before he discovered Irish trad, Junji was playing banjo in a BG band!

Blog Entries

Yes, I've seen some videos of their Bluegrass and American Cowboy Songs. It seems pretty strange coming from such talented Irish musicians. It is a bit like the Japanese love of karoke. Their audience just loves that stuff.
    On the other hand there is a big craze for country music and bluegrass in Ireland.

For my money however, I think Junji is an exceptional DADGAD guitarist in ITM and more people should know about him. Just maybe he and Mareka may visit the good old USA sometime in the future.

5. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Yes, I've seen some videos of their Bluegrass and American Cowboy Songs. It seems pretty strange coming from such talented Irish musicians. It is a bit like the Japanese love of karoke. Their audience just loves that stuff.
    On the other hand there is a big craze for country music and bluegrass in Ireland.

For my money however, I think Junji is an exceptional DADGAD guitarist in ITM and more people should know about him. Just maybe he and Mareka may visit the good old USA sometime in the future.
    You might enjoy the two albums he did with Dale and Jack Gilder under the band name "Jody's Heaven" some years ago when he was living in the states.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mainer73 View Post
    You might enjoy the two albums he did with Dale and Jack Gilder under the band name "Jody's Heaven" some years ago when he was living in the states.
    Got it. Great stuff. "Garden of Butterflys' is the other one.

Still I'm impressed with Mareka, the fiddle, concertina, mandolin and harp player. (Dale's got some great musical friends...)

Definitely, she's very talented. And I do love the fiddle and concertina as a duet form.

9. The following members say thank you to Mainer73 for this post:

DougC 

I have seen the two of them playing with Pat O'Connor and Eoin O'Sullivan at the Feakle festival several times. Mareka Naito was playing concertina very unassumingly (although very well) – I had no idea she was such a multi-instrumentalist.