Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Praise of Hans Brentrup

Default Re: In Praise of Hans Brentrup

Quote Originally Posted by Bogle View Post
    That is a beauty, Bogle. I see that the mandolin is named Bogle too. You can see Hans’ exquisite workmanship in those photos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have gigged with mine so much, and in less than stellar environments, I am hesitant to send a pic to Larry. All the one's in the archive look like new. Hans told me when folks bring their mandolin to him for a checkup it looks like they don't play them, I can tell you play yours, and I make them to play.
    Ha! I offered to send an update on this one but got no reply. I've had it since around 2011. I think I'm the fourth owner. If I included updated pictures, the hundreds of hours of gigs and jams would be evident - it's got everything from finish checking to multiple scratches to the requisite repaired headstock and heel cracks The pickguard was lost before I bought it and I had the Florida scooped a while back. The thing is still one of the loudest mandos I've ever played with a dark, more mid-range-y sound and a massive chop. That being said, I've given some thought to selling it off someday. As others have noted, the necks on his earlier mandos tend toward the thicker end of the range. I was still primarily a guitar player at the time I bought that mando, so the thick neck didn't bother me at all, however, a decade or so later I've become more enamored with thinner mando necks, and rarely even pick up a guitar for anything other than songwriting purposes. Still, I have no plans to sell anytime soon. It's a great mando and it would take me years to save the money for something that tops it.

Don, a belated congratulations on your beautiful Brentrup. I am glad you are enjoying it and I hope to see and hear you play it in person before too long.

Blog Entries

I think Hans could make a wonderful sounding mandolin out of any stable wood. He sure made great ones. Enjoy it!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

6. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Bogle 

Just took my Brentrup in to have some work done on it and am back to playing my old Kentucky 350 for a week or so. I do like the slimmer neck, but man do I miss that Brentrup sound!

I am fortunate that my Brentrup has the thinner neck. And the sound..........
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Mine is chunky but I am used to it. I pick it up often and still marvel at it. When I got my 24 A-4 and sent Hans a photo of them and even he marveled at how close his copy was.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1