Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Hans Brentrup

Default In Praise of Hans Brentrup

This 2002 Brentrup 23V with an Italian spruce top showed up on Friday. I think it will take care of my scroll fever for quite some time. I've gone through more mandolins than I can remember , and everything about this one makes me smile. A joy to see, hear, and play. Nicely shaped neck, very much like my Heiden A5. Powerful too--can just play it easily and the notes jump out. Very strong midrange.

https://youtu.be/wPoZYpyBRcE

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: In Praise of Hans Brentrup

Oh, my! Is that what I have to do to cure my chronic MAS?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Oh, my! Is that what I have to do to cure my chronic MAS?
    What would Don know of that?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thats a gorgeous F-5 and what a tone-voice! Slightly dark tone-Me likes her a lot! Great now he's on my evolving list of builders I wouldn't mind getting one made by him! I don't think he builds mandolins anymore, does he? So, what's out there is what it is right? So my list of wants-for sure not needs is an early 70ish Paganoni, a earlier Bill Halsey, Brentrup, Wiens with Virzi!, thats it for the moment but that could change in an hour-LoL!

8. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Did that come with an Ameritage case?

10. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Thats a gorgeous F-5 and what a tone-voice! Slightly dark tone-Me likes her a lot! Great now he's on my evolving list of builders I wouldn't mind getting one made by him! I don't think he builds mandolins anymore, does he? So, what's out there is what it is right? So my list of wants-for sure not needs is an early 70ish Paganoni, a earlier Bill Halsey, Brentrup, Wiens with Virzi!, thats it for the moment but that could change in an hour-LoL!
    Hans is long retired, although his wife had listed some of the mandolins he’d been holding onto a while back.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Awesome looking and sounding mandolin, Don!

14. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Sounds great, and that top is beautiful. Wow!

16. The following members say thank you to Jay for this post:

Hank: that's what it takes.

pheffernan: Look at your instrument list and talk to me about MAS.

Mary: it came with a cheap Chinese shaped case, but you can always find a good case. Finding a mando like this is not so easy. Also, your signature is awesome!

William: Hans quit building some time ago. You don't see many come up for sale. I was a little nervous about getting an early build, but the Acoustic Shoppe sound clip convinced me it was worth a shot.

CES: thanks!

Jay: I love the finish on it too. Looks 100 years old. Thanks!

I need to give a shout-out to the Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield MO. They provided some amazing personal service before and during the sale. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Don Grieser; Mar-27-2022 at 8:43pm.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

18. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Don,

I had a 23v way back when. I fought with the neck. It won. It was similar looking but I believe it had an Adirondack top, and an Ameritage case. Hans and Heiden had similar approaches. Their feel is quite similar. I noticed it right away when I received my Heiden. But I like the neck much better. But to be fair, my Brentrup had Han’s earlier neck profile.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

20. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I think I read every thread on Brentrups when I spotted this one. The neck was a concern, but this one has a very comfortable neck that is very close to my Heiden's neck. The folks at the Acoustic Shoppe were very accurate in their description of the neck. I was also concerned tonewise because it was an early build, but their soundclip showed me what I needed to hear. It has the stuff to my ear.

I think the earlier necks were more chunky, later ones much slimmer. My Brentrup has a wonderful neck, very slim and fast. I have worn not only the finish, but most of the stain off from playing it over the years. It is my performing mandolin and as such shows it. Hans and Maureen are wonderful people. Hans not only built great mandolins, but also some wonderful parlor guitars. When I was last there I played one of his parlors, and a couple mandolins. If I had the $$ I would have bought the parlor, but at the time it wasn't to be. I have gotten many compliments on the sound of my Brentrup over the years and I am sure Don you will come to love yours as I love mine. I am fortunate in that I don't have scroll envy and play a 21V. I have only seen one other for sale in the many years I have owned this and it didn't last long. Whenever I get MAS I play my Brentrup, if that doesn't work I change the strings and play it again, works every time. Enjoy Don, these are wonderful mandolins.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Another trophy!
    If mandolins were fish...you'd have some 'splainin to do!
    Good for you and you sound great on it.

25. The following members say thank you to Eric Oliver for this post:

Nice score; great sounding mandolin!

One of these days I hope my brain will connect the dots between Italian spruce tops and consistently great sounding mandolins (to my ear, anyway). Maybe I will even go so far as to buy one.

Alas, it hasn’t happened yet…🤣 🤔

Play it well, and in good health.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poa_Pratensis For This Useful Post:

Congratulations, Don. That is a beauty.

I am still deeply in love with my A4C. It is in my rotation of favored mandolins but never fails me when it comes around again. Mine is from 2007. Hans sadly stopped building any instruments quite some time ago. Mine does have a neck that is on the chunky side but it is fine for me. The tone is to die for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a4ft.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	200317
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poa_Pratensis View Post
    Nice score; great sounding mandolin!

One of these days I hope my brain will connect the dots between Italian spruce tops and consistently great sounding mandolins (to my ear, anyway). Maybe I will even go so far as to buy one.

Alas, it hasn’t happened yet…�� ��

Play it well, and in good health.
    My Monteleone Style B sold me on Italian tops. That thing sang like an angel.

31. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

I have had two Brentrup 22V (F4 style) mandos for a long time and they are fabulous. The great tone and balance are wonderful and they more than hold their own with my other F4s. Great for oldtime playing. Thank you Hans! Doug in Vermont

33. The following members say thank you to bones12 for this post:

Hans and his wife are special people. They were always a joy to spend some time with. He had some interesting ideas about mandolin building, and they seemed to work great when he built them. He built one mandolin and used Pink Ivory. It was for his wife. It was pretty heavy and a bear to work with, but it was incredible. Pink Ivory is a really beautiful wood. Anyway, congratulations on your new Hans mandolin. They were all special.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

35. The following members say thank you to Big Joe for this post:

I didn’t see this mentioned on this thread but, for those who don’t know, the bulk of Hans’ mandolins can be viewed on the Brentrup Mandolin Registry: https://brentrupmandolinregistry.wordpress.com/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the comments. I'm really enjoying this fine mandolin. This is my first mandolin with an Italian spruce top. I'd say Hans carved it right.

Thanks for the link to the Brentrup registry, Jim. Mine is the second one on the page number 80221-I back when it was new. Has some distressing now. Too bad the pickguard didn't come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm really enjoying this fine mandolin. This is my first mandolin with an Italian spruce top. I'd say Hans carved it right.

Thanks for the link to the Brentrup registry, Jim. Mine is the second one on the page number 80221-I back when it was new. Has some distressing now. Too bad the pickguard didn't come with it.
    This page? https://brentrupmandolinregistry.wor.../80221-i-m23v/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Yes, that's the one I have. Love the visual vibe of it as well as the tone.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

42. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I have gigged with mine so much, and in less than stellar environments, I am hesitant to send a pic to Larry. All the one's in the archive look like new. Hans told me when folks bring their mandolin to him for a checkup it looks like they don't play them, I can tell you play yours, and I make them to play.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have gigged with mine so much, and in less than stellar environments, I am hesitant to send a pic to Larry. All the one's in the archive look like new. Hans told me when folks bring their mandolin to him for a checkup it looks like they don't play them, I can tell you play yours, and I make them to play.
    John Greven says the same about his guitars. He loves seeing one come back that's made a lot of music.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary