Thread: Help Identify the Tuners?

Default Help Identify the Tuners?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F343F8C-F171-4C24-9C88-772D17EC28FF.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	200308Hello, In the case of a ‘24 Gibson A Jr. are the pictured tuners. I’ve read about the not often seen amber tinted tuner buttons and would like to know if these are amber or more standard tuning buttons.
    Thank you,
    Matt

Default Re: Help Identify the Tuners?

I may be wrong but I have only ever seen late 30s Kluson amber buttons- as you can see here:

https://umgf.com/1930-s-kluson-amber...d-t185697.html

Your tuners appear to be typical Waverly tuners with the sawtooth ends to the plates which were common in the teens and twenties. Have a look at the archive and look for photos of mandolins during that period. Various types of tuners were used in terms of the plates- arrow end, engraved etc and the earlier Handel tuners. Somebody else may have a different opinion to mine: http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/...ndolins.pl?all

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Name:	3F343F8C-F171-4C24-9C88-772D17EC28FF.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	200308Hello, In the case of a ‘24 Gibson A Jr. are the pictured tuners. I’ve read about the not often seen amber tinted tuner buttons and would like to know if these are amber or more standard tuning buttons.
    Thank you,
    Matt
    I maybe wrong, but those tuners don't look like '24 tuners at all (may have been old stock, though). Check out this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...highlight=onyx

Are you referring to the coffee-colored knobs that appear on Loar era mandolins like those on a 23 A-4? These are darker than the one the OP shows.

Name:	209DB347-EA4F-4AC7-8E0E-D66D468E7686.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	200361
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

AFAIK the coffee colored knobs appear on a few arrow end tuners around '23/'24 (also on F4s BTW). The wiggle end tuners on the OP's A Jr. should be earlier than '23/'24.

Blog Entries

Those look to be circa 1921 Waverly's to me, they have the amberish lines through the button-like marble effect-thats what it reminds me of. My 21 K-4 has the same buttons and when I talked with David Harvey he asked if my 21 K-4 had those tuners buttons as they were on the rare side and done around 21. I sure hope I'm saying this correctly of our phone conversation. I guess one could look in the archive pix?

Blog Entries

Those look to be circa 1921 Waverly's to me, they have the amberish lines through the button-like marble effect-thats what it reminds me of. My 21 K-4 has the same buttons and when I talked with David Harvey he asked if my 21 K-4 had those tuners buttons as they were on the rare side and done around 21. I sure hope I'm saying this correctly of our phone conversation. I guess one could look in the archive pix?

I know these are way different looking than the standard cream type ivoried buttons from the teens thru the 30's.