Thread: Difference in MF and MF5 Collings Mandolins

Default Difference in MF and MF5 Collings Mandolins

I am considering upgrading from my Eastman MD615 to a Collings, as kind of a retirement "gift" this year. There are two used ones at Gryphon (both Adi tops) that I'm not sure what all of the differences might be for the significant cost difference.

The MF is natural finished, gloss top and satin back and sides. https://www.gryphonstrings.com/colle...ed#tab=details

For $3800 more, the MF5 has a gorgeous finish (varnish, the ad says), higher grade B/S woods (IMO) and is certainly more beautiful (in my eyes). https://www.gryphonstrings.com/produ...used#tab=specs

Are there other differences in the construction, or is all the cost on the "outside?"

Thanks,
    Marty

Default Re: Difference in MF and MF5 Collings Mandolins

The wood on the varnish instruments is generally more attractive, wider flame (which some believe adds to its tonal qualities). You will get a sweeter tone generally with a varnished mandolin. Having owned both (at the same time) I would say if you can afford it go for the varnished model. It's a long wait for a new one and that one is priced pretty low, especially with the Calton and Waverlys. Makes me wonder why. I would say replacement value would be upwards of $12k, and a two or three year wait on a new order. Just look at that one piece back!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The varnish MF5 the OP links to at Gryphon is a little different from Collings' standard issue, in that it's "dark bound" instead of bound with white ivoroid.

Still a beautiful instrument in its own right.

Also be aware that there are "MF5's", and MF5-v's".
    The lacquer-finished MF5 is the standard issue.
    The MF5-v is produced on a more limited basis.

I used to own an MF5 and an MF, I found myself liking the MF better for some reason. It just had a quality that gave it an edge over the other one. Bling doesn't equate sound, I guess, play them both if you can.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

I think deciding between instruments all comes down to what you are looking for.

Based on your original post I think it is safe to conclude you want an F style mandolin. If you want bling then go with the pricier instrument. If it comes down to sound then you have to be able to hear the two to make an informed decision.

Some of the best sounding mandolins to my ear have been plain Collings MT mandolins, no bling and no scroll.

By way of disclosure, I have always gone for the best bang for the buck. I have found this in A style mandolins. I play a Collings MT2V made in 2005 that does the job for me and then some. It has the same appointments as the MF5V but costs half as much. My second string mandolin is a Kentucky KM-500 that cost less than the Waverly tuners on the MT2V. That Kentucky rocks... loud, woody, easy to play.

Check out my YouTube videos in the link at the bottom of the page to see them both and several other mandos I have passed down the line.

First of all, congratulations on your impending retirement! You'll find that every day is Saturday: you'll wake up knowing that you won't have to go to work that day, and you'll go to sleep knowing that you won't have to go to work the next day.

As long as you're dealing with Gryphon, there have a third choice: a new MF Deluxe which is priced in between those two used ones. https://www.gryphonstrings.com/colle...-mandolin-new#

So, another question you could ask the Collings fans here is how much have Collings mandolins improved over the last decade-plus. The serial numbers of the two that you are looking at are 752 and 982. The serial number of the new one is 2011.

Aside from that, I think that varnished instruments generally sound better than lacquered ones do because the finish is thinner, so it doesn't restrict the vibration of the wood as much.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories