Thread: Cozart 4 string

Default Cozart 4 string

Has anyone checked out the Cozart four string 17.5” scale electric Strat uke on eBay?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cozart 4 string

Just did.
    If you are thinking of buying it, plan on doing some work to improve playability. I bought a used Cozart EM8 here in the classifieds that had "hot rodded" (Strat pick-ups) electrics by the previous owner. A reputable luthier here in the Burgh found a short in the electrics, obviously not the fault of Cozart. I was told these pick-ups greatly improved the sound from the original electrics, though I had no way of confirming this.
    Additionally, I had the same luthier do some extensive work to the fret board to give it decent, but not exceptional playability.
    I eventually sold it here in the Cafe classifieds after investing nearly as much in the improvements as I initially payed for it. I believe it was a decent investment for the third owner, but not for me.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I've got a Flight Pathfinder, basically the same instrument, and I also modded the snot out of it, partly for fun but also for playability, so I was able to justify the outlay (whatever it takes!).

The Pathfinder is best set up for CGDA. In GDAE, the G string doesn't intonate, and I didn't want to buy one of those single-string bridges plus a three string bridge to scoot it back, or to move the whole bridge back for that matter. As it is, I cut off about half the screw and removed the spring on the C so I could back it ALL the way up.

The pickups are OK, but wiring a single coil and a humbucker with one volume & tone will make one of the pups sound weird, depending on the pot value. I replaced the neck pickup with a Ryder stacked humbucker and put in nice Bournes pots of the correct value.

The tuners are terrible. They look like the same ones as on the Cozart.

I had to shim the neck several millimeters to get decent action.

I like it, but I'm not playing it as much as I thought I might.

I bought a good Cozart guitar once, I worry about the intonation.

Thanks for the info bbcee.They look identical except for the paint.