Thread: Gorgeous F4 with Virzi at Retrofret in Brooklyn

Default Gorgeous F4 with Virzi at Retrofret in Brooklyn

I meant to get over there and check it out, but the day got away from me:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=10312

I can’t quite justify buying something this good as a sometime mandolinist (primarily guitar, with tenor banjo on the side) and I have a very nice Mid Mo M-0 that I bought new at Mandolin Brothers back in 2000. But I am working on rationalisations…

Default Re: Gorgeous F4 with Virzi at Retrofret in Brooklyn

That whole ideal of taking something back to the factory every xxx years to make it all shiny and new! Someone loved that mandolin a lot, but probably didn't do it any favours in the long run where originality has become more desirable.

Bet it sounds great though!

3. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

Okay, but 6k for an F4 with multiple refin, non-original finish, no pickguard and non-original case and the debatable Virzi seems a bit optimistic IMHO – even if the magic name was mentioned more than once in the application prose.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

That was typical procedure back then to send instruments back to the makers for rehab. Remember there was no such concept as a vintage collectible instrument even as recently as the 1960s possibly into the 1970s. And many repair people thought it part of the process to renew the finishes and they thought they were doing their customers a big favor or the customers could have requested that as part of the package.

I had a friend whose main guitar was a 1920s L-1 flattop that had the dreaded 1960s cherry sunburst refinish. Guitar sounded good but looked odd and certainly lost a bunch of vintage value. Even this RetroFret F-4 looks odd to my eyes as well. I would love to play it if I can get down to Brooklyn.

Also, I am curious how the Virzi would affect the tone. I played a lovely Loar with Virzi a bunch of years ago at RetroFret whose tone I loved. But I am not sure that an oval hole needs more overtones. Then again proof is in the playing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Okay, I think it looks cool. And like the detailed description.

Also, don't think the price is too high with the added Virzi. At least through a dealer.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Also, I am curious how the Virzi would affect the tone. I played a lovely Loar with Virzi a bunch of years ago at RetroFret whose tone I loved. But I am not sure that an oval hole needs more overtones. Then again proof is in the playing.
    There are those who think that a Virzi adds to ovals and subtracts from f-holes.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    There are those who think that a Virzi adds to ovals and subtracts from f-holes.
    And I would guess there are also those who think the opposite.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

And I would guess there are also those who think the opposite.
    Of course. I’m just speaking of (and not for) some builders whose opinions I respect on such matters.

Here is a video that has been posted repeatedly on the subject:

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

12. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

No problem. And I was just commenting that there are lots of opinions out there from all sources. I certainly don’t have an opinion (in this case) on any particular side. And, of course, the proof is in the playing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Teacher, repair person

I try to judge them impartially, if that's possible.

The most powerful Gibson I ever played was a Loar with a Virzi. Surprised the heck out of me. However, none of the few other Loars I have played, some with Virzi, some without, were that powerful. On the average, I thought that the non-Virzi mandolins were usually a little stronger.

I only recall playing one oval hole with a Virzi, and it didn't make enough of an impression on me to raise my eyebrows. It wasn't bad, though.

The Loar I played years ago—and I got to play it for about 1/2 hour straight—had a very complex tone and I felt I had heard things coming out of that mandolin that I hadn’t heard from others I played. However, they did not have another Virzi-less Loar to compare nor have I ever played a vintage oval with Virzi.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I reckon they do happen...here's a Virzi Loar with a nice balance volume and tone...and plenty of both...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67003996683--507DE1DF-C399-4CD5-A938-E718C0C2B1D0.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	767.9 KB 
ID:	200489
    too many strings

En route to Retrofret. Will check out the F4 just to know what it sounds like. I might (might) be able to rationalize buying the 1940 A1 or the 1930 A0 they have there. The F4 is out of my budget unfortunately.

18. The following members say thank you to L50EF15 for this post:

Played the F4 and it was wonderful. I don’t know enough to opine about the Virzi, but the sound was amazing as was the playing feel. An aspirational instrument (at least for me), as was an F10 (actually, maybe an F12; anyway, it was black and sounded great and played like butter…but it was $17K…).

But I still made it a NMD/MAS day and bought a 1924 A Junior Snakehead with OHSC. New thread with pictures coming shortly.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L50EF15 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
    Played the F4 and it was wonderful. I don’t know enough to opine about the Virzi, but the sound was amazing as was the playing feel. An aspirational instrument (at least for me), as was an F10 (actually, maybe an F12; anyway, it was black and sounded great and played like butter…but it was $17K…).

But I still made it a NMD/MAS day and bought a 1924 A Junior Snakehead with OHSC. New thread with pictures coming shortly.
    The Virzi's tighten the top and I love em! They still have the old F-10, I offered them a great price in 2012! 10 years later-WoW.

Teacher, repair person

As for the F-10, I guess "It's paid for and it don't eat anything."

Back in the late 1980's, I went to George Gruhn's then small shop to look for a good Gibson mandolin. He had half a dozen F-4's, an A models, and an F-10 in nearly unplayed condition. I tried all of them. The A model wasn't too good and most of the F-4's were rather mediocre. Two mandolins were much better than the rest-- one was the F-10, which was $4000, which was a lot of money back then, especially for a fellow who was making about $7 an hour. The other was a 1918 F-4, which was $1650 [still a lot of money for a guy making $7/hr]. I walked out of there with the F-4 and a 1939 Martin 0-18 for my girlfriend for $2500. It was more fun back in those days. I also remember they had four pre-war 00-21's for $1500 each, a Euphonon dreadnought, and a whole lot of other stuff that we just don't see anymore.

I still have the F-4. I had only ever played a very few old Gibson mandolins at the time I bought it, and didn't know the instruments well. It was several years before I realized that I had found a particularly good one.
    Last edited by rcc56; Apr-09-2022 at 7:00pm.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    As for the F-10, I guess "It's paid for and it don't eat anything."

Back in the late 1980's, I went to George Gruhn's then small shop to look for a good Gibson mandolin. He had half a dozen F-4's, an A models, and an F-10 in nearly unplayed condition. I tried all of them. The A model wasn't too good and most of the F-4's were rather mediocre. Two mandolins were much better than the rest-- one was the F-10, which was $4000, which was a lot of money back then, especially for a fellow who was making about $7 an hour. The other was a 1918 F-4, which was $1650 [still a lot of money for a guy making $7/hr]. I walked out of there with the F-4 and a 1939 Martin 0-18 for my girlfriend for $2500. It was more fun back in those days. I also remember they had four pre-war 00-21's for $1500 each, a Euphonon dreadnought, and a whole lot of other stuff that we just don't see anymore.

I still have the F-4. I had only ever played a very few old Gibson mandolins at the time I bought it, and didn't know the instruments well. It was several years before I realized that I had found a particularly good one.
    Do you still have the girlfriend? That was quite the gift! Lovely guitars the 0-18s from that era

Teacher, repair person

No. She and I went in different directions, and we don't cross paths often. I don't know if she still has the 0-18. I hope so, it too was a darn good instrument.

Larry Wexer has a ‘24 Loar F-5 with Virzi here: https://www.gbase.com/powered/lauren...-1924-sunburst

Wouldn’t it be great to play this and the F-4 next to each other. They are in the same city!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I see the price has gone up over the last month. Someone who can afford it will get an excellent instrument.

Larry Wexer has a ‘24 Loar F-5 with Virzi here: https://www.gbase.com/powered/lauren...-1924-sunburst

Wouldn’t it be great to play this and the F-4 next to each other. They are in the same city!
    I used to own the Virzi F5 at Larry's. I purchased it years ago at a Skinner auction and then had to sell it later on for financial reasons.

So I have owned 9 Loar F5s over the years and a few 20's Ferns as well. I will say that this particular F5 (which I gave the name "Scratchy" because of the considerable scratches on the face) has one of most beautiful, warm and balanced tones of any Loar I have owned or played (around 150 of them). This F5, as well as the first F5 I ever owned (a Feb. 18th which also had a Virzi) are probably my favorites for tone of the ones I have owned. There are a few non-virzi Loars out there that I may have preferred for volume... but for tone those two Virzi Loars (as well as another Feb.18 Virzi Loar I played in Pennsylvania years ago) have the kind of tonal profile that most players die for...

30. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
    I meant to get over there and check it out, but the day got away from me:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=10312

I can’t quite justify buying something this good as a sometime mandolinist (primarily guitar, with tenor banjo on the side) and I have a very nice Mid Mo M-0 that I bought new at Mandolin Brothers back in 2000. But I am working on rationalisations…
    Another one has arrived at Retrofret. This is much nicer IMO, and only a few hundred more:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.as...-Mandolin-1922

Beautiful!

32. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

Teacher, repair person

A nice one at Denver Folklore Center, and for less money [nfi]:
    http://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/I...-x63429028.htm