Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

Default Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

We recently took a road trip from our sea level home to the high desert in New Mexico and Arizona. I took my Eastman MD 305 along and the changes in climate and altitude made it go haywire! The action changed, the tone changed (for the worse) and it developed all kinds of buzzes. It still hasn't recovered now we are back home. I expected some changes, but this was worse than expected.

Since then I've been thinking about trying to find a Mix carbon fiber mandolin for heavy duty traveling in the future, but they are very hard to find.

Does anyone know if Ovation mandolins with their plastic bodies do any better with changes in climate and altitude? They seem to be easier to find.

Or are there any other good choices for a rugged travel mandolin?

Question Re: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

Mix, Carbon Fiber.. is the one ... (My 3rd hand A5 had a refret a couple years ago)

the wood & RH changes is the issue . There was an Ovation line, the top a spruce carbon fiber laminate..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Default Re: Best Mandolin for Traveling From Sea Level to High Desert?

Klos Guitars says they’re coming out with a carbon fiber unit. Hoping it’s a Tacoma style flat top for price.

5. The following members say thank you to Van-van for this post:

Well, hate to say it, but a plywood "cheapo" might be less humidity sensitive. Nicer the instrument, the more vulnerable to drying out.

Did you have a case humidifier for the Eastman? Or two or three? Room humidifier? It's possible, if you're careful and near-compulsive about checking the hygrometer I'm sure you'll buy for your next trip, to shield most instruments from the worst effects of moisture loss.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Keep your mandolin in a good humidified case when not in use and the Eastman should be fine. I take my mandolin from 25% indoor to 70% rh (& back) when flying cross county without a problem. In August Telluride ranges from 25% to 80% rh and folks still play mandolin. I leave my mandolins uncased when the indoor relative humidity is above ~45%.
    Last edited by Elb2000; Apr-04-2022 at 6:12am.

Well...........I'm going the other direction - actually to a tropical destination and I'm taking the Mandocaster with my headphone amp. Don't think the solid wood Mando's would fair too well. Also taking de-humidifying packets just in case. I would go with a fully laminate if I had one-think Rogue or equivalent.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Bill, As others mentioned humidity (lack thereof) is the culprit with your Eastman. An in-case humidifier and hygrometer should be all you need if you're diligent about monitoring it. As for your Eastman, if it still hasn't re-acclimated you may need to raise the action at the bridge a little. That should eliminate the buzzes and tinny tone.

Carbon fiber is definitely pretty much indestructible for camping and such if you're fine with the esthetics of it. At $2-3k, I'd more inclined upgrade the case and humidification for my wood mando.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I live at 9000’ and the dryness is hard on the mandolins and humans alike. Still, after some work, both do alright.

Perhaps just bring your Eastman and schedule some time with your luthier.

This is a bit 'off topic' but it might help you. I used to live in SF and would travel to the East Side (High Desert) regularly, with stops up in the Sierras for the High Country air. Yep. Mandolins don't care for these types of changes. What helped the most for me was taking more care winding strings around the post, keeping even tension on the string during the wind and getting at least three or four clean wraps around the post. Have given up on the 'locks' and various other quick-string techniques in favor of just doing a nice job of it and letting the string stretch without any crimps along its whole length. YMMV

I agree with Allen's comments above. A cheap ply instrument is your best bet. The problem with Ovation and other instruments that use a mix of synthetics and wood is the wood moves and the synthetic materials don't. This can cause all manner of problems.

14. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Wow Brian, 9000 feet! Winters must be incredible there. Casually venturing out for a beer on Friday night could become quite an adventure. I'd love to see a picture of your place (and mandolin).

Blog Entries

My Buchanan had no trouble with 15% humidity in SoCal or 95% on the East Coast beach. Only change is it goes sharp when humid, from expansion, and flat when dry.

Then again, it is not an arch top.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Hey Bill!

If you can find a Mix, they are pretty great for worry-free travel, and they'll withstand being left in the car trunk better than any wood mandolin will. The ones I've played sounded pretty darn good and played well, too.

But for the price on one Mix you could buy a small arsenal of cheap beaters to try out.

I've had pretty good luck with a basic pancake-style for camping in the Sierra or down in Joshua Tree, etc. If I remember to do it, I throw a Dampit in the soundhole and keep it humidified that way. If I forget, I toss a cut apple in the case, and that seems to work OK, too. It's made of solid spruce and maple, and I avoid leaving it in the car on hot days, etc., but it seems to weather the elements OK.

I've also had good luck with an old Harmony plywood mandolin that seemed pretty impervious to climate change. I know a couple of folks who swear by Stad-O-Lins for their camping instruments. A plywood archtop with an adjustable bridge might be best. If the action goes south on a flattop with a fixed bridge, you don't have much to work with other than shims, and if it goes north, you're stuck with it.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Interesting thread. I live in Arizona in an extremely dry climate. I have a Taran Springwell mandolin built by Rory Dowling in Scotland.
    The climate where I live was a big concern for me and Rory; what he wound up doing while building the instrument was turning up the heat and lowering the RH of the workshop while working on my instrument.

I’ve had it for two years now and no problems. I recently wanted to bring it to the Pacific Northwest and consulted Rory who recommended against it. He said he was worried about when I bring the instrument back to the desert again.

I’ve been contemplating adding a humidification device into my case, but haven’t yet because I don’t have any issues. Does anyone here recommend I add one even though I don’t have any issues?

Blog Entries

Another vote for the Mix.

I have a Rainsong OM-1000 guitar too.

Carbon fibre is brilliant for changing climates and conditions. I bought my (used) Mix F5 in 2013 because my Gary Vessel F mandolin needed a good set up 6 months after moving from the central valley of California to Cambridge, England. Not knowing any repair people I could trust with a custom instrument, I bought the Mix and started looking into good repair people. I played a gig on the back of a flatbed in December in Huntingdon, England in light snow mixed with freezing rain and sleet. Didn't even need to tune. All the other acts had fingers on tuning machines between songs.

Daniel

How serendipitous to come across this thread as I'm currently on my way to the airport from my near-sea level home for a vacation in the high desert of NM. Bringing the Flatiron 1N which I figure will be the best of my lot to handle the change. I do have a 70% cigar humidifier pack in the case to help keep it closer to normal conditions. I'll report back on how it goes.

C. ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I have a new "son of The Mix," the Circle Strings brand carbon/Kevlar F5. The stability of this instrument is remarkable. It seems that the need to retune is the result of strings that stretch over time, not movement of the neck or sound board. This is the mandolin I take with me. It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a "market" for CF mandos. In my opinion, they're not a replacement for a traditional mandolin; they are an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fuldner View Post
    I have a new "son of The Mix," the Circle Strings brand carbon/Kevlar F5. The stability of this instrument is remarkable…………It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a "market" for CF mandos.
    Interesting. I see no mention of the carbon fiber mandolins on Adam’s website currently, perhaps I am somehow missing them.

When you say new, do you mean purchased in recent months, or did you happen to buy the one he produced a couple of years ago that was offered in the Cafe classifieds at the time?

I’m just wondering if he’s basically abandoned the the idea of producing them.

Mojo, about three weeks ago I took delivery of a cf/Kevlar mandolin I ordered from Adam almost exactly a year ago. As we drew close to the finish line, Adam said that mine might be the last CF mandolin he makes. He didn't get specific, but I inferred that cost may have been an issue. It's a pity. The mandolin isn't as loud as I would have expected, but the tone and playability are exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fuldner View Post
    Mojo, about three weeks ago I took delivery of a cf/Kevlar mandolin I ordered from Adam almost exactly a year ago. As we drew close to the finish line, Adam said that mine might be the last CF mandolin he makes. He didn't get specific, but I inferred that cost may have been an issue. It's a pity. The mandolin isn't as loud as I would have expected, but the tone and playability are exceptional.
    Tom, thanks for the additional info. It’s awesome to hear that Adam recently completed that CF mando for you, and simultaneously quite sad he’s not optimistic about making more…….

Ah well, guess I’ll keep looking for a used Mix that’s still in good shape. I hope someone will eventually be successful at bringing a good and affordable (not “cheap”) CF mando to market. I do think there’s a place for them and people seem to be buying mandos like crazy these days.

+ 1 on the Mix.
    I have Mix A5 #10 that I purchased new from Peter. It's been great! I've literally gone to China - twice -with it and it did not go out of tune!
    The traditionalists may grumble a little about the appearance (and, ironically, I consider myself very traditional...) but it sounds really good, plays easily and travels great.

Kirk

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Foss View Post
    Since then I've been thinking about trying to find a Mix carbon fiber mandolin for heavy duty traveling in the future, but they are very hard to find
    A used one has been circulating through Guitar Centers. They usually offer extended trial periods and forgiving return policies.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In...CJWXX2&irgwc=1
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    A used one has been circulating through Guitar Centers. They usually offer extended trial periods and forgiving return policies.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In...CJWXX2&irgwc=1

Yeah, I’ve seen this one at GC online twice before and considered buying it, but couldn’t pull the trigger. It’s been returned at least twice now, which leads me to believe the mando has one or more issues. That said, I’m going to take one for the team: I’ve ordered it and will report back. If it’s in good shape and has no issues I’ll likely keep it. OTH, if there are problems with it I’ll describe them and return the mando to GC, so at least that way Cafe members will know what the scoop is the next time it turns up for sale.

28. The following members say thank you to Mojo for this post:

I live in Portland, OR (a couple hundred feet above sea level and very wet for half the year) for 3 weeks out of each month and then in the Oregon High Desert at 4200 feet for one week of each month. I always bring my Kentucky KM-1050 back and forth with me and have never had any tone or action changes going from one environment to the next. Not sure why it's been unaffected...

Perhaps a builder can finish the inside of the body , only leave a surface of the lining strips unfinished to absorb the glue

but ending up with both sides of the wood lacquered to not swell & contract so fast ...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture