Thread: Two dances by J.S. Bach

Default Two dances by J.S. Bach

I've just been reunited with two mandolins I had given 15 years ago to my late mother. One of them is a vintage bowlback built in the De Meglio style, but with a label saying "Carlo Rinaldi". My recollection was of it being a fun instrument but a bit wild and difficult to control. Becoming re-acquainted I was pleasantly surprised with the tone and playability (although the latter turned out to be deceptive: it was easy to play but after 30 minutes my fretting hand started to hurt). I made three recordings of Baroque dances with it this weekend -- one is a mandolin/tenor guitar duet by Sperontes which I posted in the SAW group (link), the others are two Bach dances played on mandolin and mandocello:

J.S. Bach: Bauerntanz (from the Peasant Cantata, BWV 212)

This is a brief dance movement from Bach's Peasant Cantata (1742), adapted from a setting for two recorders I found in "Kleine Duette alter Meister" (Schott ED 4373, pub. 1955). I am playing it on mandolin and mandocello.

Carlo Rinaldi mandolin (c. 1900)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

https://youtu.be/GuE6CAW94dk

J.S. Bach: English Suite No. 3 - BWV 808 - Gavotte II (Musette)

This is a gavotte by Bach in musette style, with the characteristic drone imitating the French musette bagpipe. The original key in is G major, but I found the setting I used in an old collection of duets for diatonic harmonicas in C, published by Hohner. It transfers nicely to mandolin and mandocello.

Carlo Rinaldi mandolin (c. 1900)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello (x2: bass line and C drone)

https://youtu.be/jYMr6l-aa3Q

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Apr-03-2022 at 6:29pm.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Two dances by J.S. Bach

Thanks, as always, for the fine performances. I have to say that the Rinaldi has a lovely sound!

4. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Default Re: Two dances by J.S. Bach

Thanks, Joe. Yes, I also enjoy the tone of the Rinaldi -- unexpectely so, as it's a pretty basic instrument. Not particularly complex, but good strong fundamentals.

To complete the set, here is the third tune I recorded on the Rinaldi over the weekend. Not Bach but also baroque, this one is by "Sperontes", the pseudonym used by Johann Sigismund Scholze (1705-1750), a German Baroque poet and composer mainly known for setting his own poems to self-penned or collected melodies. I found this tune in a small booklet of "14 Dances By Old Masters" published by Hohner for diatonic harmonica. It works nicely on mandolin, too. No source or original title given beyond the composer's name and the generic title "Tanz" (Dance). Lovely tune, though, and although I can't quite put my finger on it, the melody sounds familiar.

Carlo Rinaldi mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/VqPlZqxlW3A

Martin