Thread: Upgrade from Mid-mo

Default Upgrade from Mid-mo

Hi all,

Just would like some advice on upgrading. I am an intermediate (barely) player and have been using a mid-mo mando. I want to upgrade to something with a richer sound. Play mostly bluegrass, but also some European folk music. I want to spend about $1200, probably on a used instrument. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Andy

Default Re: Upgrade from Mid-mo

It seems to me these days that the leap from decent entry level mandolins to significantly better ones is a huge one moneywise. In your price range, the upper tier Kentucky's and 500 level Eastmans may be your best bang from what I've read here. A good set up can improve tone and playability as well. $3k is where mandos really start getting decent.

If you could spend a little more you could get this Silver Angel Econo mandolin.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185297#185297

100% small shop American made.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Some people do believe that a "decent" mando starts at about $3000. I have been playing mandos for about 35 years, and my opinion differs. You should easily find a "decent" mando in your price range, especially in the used market. There is a "decent" 1917 Gibson "A" for sale at a shop a couple of towns over from me. It's been played some, but it seems quite "decent" @ just over $2000.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

5. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

Don't underestimate The Loar LM 700 that's in the classifieds for under a grand.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoblock View Post
    Just would like some advice on upgrading. I am an intermediate (barely) player and have been using a mid-mo mando. I want to upgrade to something with a richer sound. Play mostly bluegrass, but also some European folk music. I want to spend about $1200, probably on a used instrument. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Do you intend to play bluegrass out with others or are you a home picker?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

While I don't play bluegrass, do play European (specifically Nordic) folk music. For that an f hole instrument is fine. Arto Jarvela is uing what appears to be a Kentucky KM-150 in Tallari these days.

My recommendations are either a Gibson A Jr (oval hole, so not perfect for bluegrass) or maybe a Breedlove American series. Have an A Jr. and have played a number of gigs with it. Both are available at your price point of $1200. The Jr series is my favorite bargain of the Gibson line. Still usually less than other A models. But sound just as good.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Don't underestimate The Loar LM 700 that's in the classifieds for under a grand.
    Agree. It’s a terrific mandolin.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    If you could spend a little more you could get this Silver Angel Econo mandolin.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185297#185297

100% small shop American made.

NFI
    Hi. Is this Silver Angel still available? I am interested?
    Couple questions:
    1. Is it new?
    2. Does it come with a case?

Thanks
    Andy

Couple questions:
    1. Is it new?

Thanks
    Andy
    You might want to send a message from the Classified ad to the seller.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Ex- Richardson TX guy here. Since you’re in a big metro area, going around and trying instruments should be possible. While “better” ones mostly have virtues, every one has its own voice and feel, and if you’re lucky, a mandolin may speak right to you, regardless of price or configuration.

Blog Entries

I disagree with the terminology.

I do not believe it to be an upgrade. If you want a more bluegrassy mandolin, or you want that archtop sound, I have no problem at all. But my experience with Big Muddy is that they are a very well made wonderful sounding instrument, that does what it does reliably and consistently. If one wants to branch out, or if flat tops are not your thing, that's fine, but don't let the affordable price fool you, the Big Muddy can absolutely be someone's forever mandolin.

Better made with better materials than many comparatively priced archtops.

No financial interest - just a flat top fan and a Big Muddy fan.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Couple questions:
    1. Is it new?

Thanks
    Andy
    Looks like it is still available, like Mike said, contact Ken via the classified ad. Good luck!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

saw a real Gibson Army Navy posted for sale on a mandolin face book group.. 1918.. from
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/5552...ser/640372492/
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My first upgrade mandolin was a Silverangel Econo built in 2009, and it was an awesome step up from my Kentucky 675-S. It was a 2009 model and I played it until I bought my Kelley. Actually kept it over a Collings MT I got in a trade during that period as well. (The MT was also excellent, I just preferred the more traditional tone of my SA). I paid $900 used (remember, that was right after the recession of 2008, when Ken started building these, and you could get a used MT for 1500-1800 back then). So, while my $3000 Kelley is an upgrade, it was the first mandolin I played during that period under 6500 or so that I thought was legitimately better. It amazes me that Ken is still letting these go for $1500…best deal in the US mandolin market, IME, though Howard Morris is also well respected and a little less expensive. I’ve just never played any of his instruments.

The Loar LM 700 is likely a very good mandolin as well if it’s an older model. They shifted business models a few years ago and their mandolin quality appears to have suffered as a result, though there are still those that love them. The 700 was their top tier mando back in the day and there were some real gems made. I’ll second the rec for an older US made Breedlove as well. Different styling, but good sounding mandolins in general. The Asian produced Breedloves would likely be a step down from your MidMo based on the ones I’ve played.

Good luck, the hunt is always fun!

18. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

When I first looked into getting a Mandolin, the late Stan Jay of the former and famed Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, advised me not to waste my money on anything less than all-solid-wood mandolin, which he said would provide a far better sound and value for the money. He specifically told me that a Big Muddy (then known as Mid-Missouri) was probably my best option, sounding as good as much more expensive mandolins with great playability at a lower cost. They are great little mandolins, not to be trivialized for sure. In your price range, you might trade it for an older mandolin with a little built-in mojo (in the form of a few bumps and bruises) in exchange for an F-hole and/or archtop design. The classifieds are probably your first stop, but get to a store to get a sense of how things sound and play. (NFI)