Thread: Octave mandolin and pinky issue

Default Octave mandolin and pinky issue

When I use my pinky on my OM (Petersen L2) I notice that my pinky usually lands between the strings, especially on the 3rd and 4th course. Anybody have ideas on how to fix this either by changing technique or adjusting the instrument? Thank you

Blog Entries

Default Re: Octave mandolin and pinky issue

I don't have much reach with my pinky. I make sure my ring finger is deployed one or two frets below. I find having my ring finger nearby also adds some strength and confidence to my pinky.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I have a fair amount of reach, but it really has taken quite a while. You can try FFcP practices or practice rapid hand movements to change position. Check out some of the Greek bouzouki players on YouTube. Good luck.

5. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

I also have a Petersen L2 and have not had this problem. Perhaps you’re fretting with the very tip of your finger in a perpendicular manner?? I fret a bit off the tip, toward the pad.
    Rob

The pinky is the weakest finger on the hand, and is connected to the ring finger, which sometimes makes it hard to use, or makes BOTH of them hard to use. You can get a hand/finger execiser (Planetwaves has a good one) and build up the strength of your pinky with it. Also, playing a lot of scales will help with pinky strength, and sort of teach your hand how to use the pinky. Go slow and speed up gradually. it's really hard to get away from using the pinky on the OM. I also have a Peterson L2, and love it, and use my pinky a lot, but it does get tired after a while. Persevere and it will come!

Jack

I’ve just put some very poor quality vids on my TikTok account if that helps anyone!

I’ll agree it’s likely a technique issue, but it may be that the spacing of those individual courses are too wide. I had to be careful with the G courses on my Flatiron 1N mandolin to avoid that happening (it was a Gibson build and had I kept it would have gotten the FB radiused and the spacing issues corrected, but it was a victim of a downsize move and the purchase of my Kelley A5, after which I didn’t play it anymore, lol). It may be helpful to post a pic showing the string spacing on those courses…

Also, agree that OM is tough to adapt to initially, as it really works the pinky. My guitar, mando, and uke playing have all benefitted from the OM workout, though, so there’s that…

Using the pinky effectively is a challenge for most stringed instrument players. The better you can keep your fretting hand wrist straight, elbow free (not tight against your left side) and fingertips perpendicular to the fretboard, the better this works.

Besides what I mentioned above (fretting hand wrist straight, elbow free, fingertips perpendicular to the fretboard) you should look into finger exercises and stretches. Lots on YouTube.

Your ring finger and pinky aren't naturally independent. The pinky has to share tendons and attachment points in the hand. Exercise and practice help. Focus on moving the fingers (both hands) independently of each other.

The thumb has its own tendon.
    First finger and pinkie each has a separate tendon.
    However, our two middle fingers share a tendon.
    If you look at the back of your hand you can see and trace the tendons for the thumb, first and fourth fingers.
    With a bit of investigation you will see and feel that second and third fingers start with separate tendons.
    But the two tendons merge at a spot in the middle of the back of your hand.
    Four Fingers: Three Tendons and a Thumb

Blog Entries

There is a warm up exercise, I learned from Peter Ostrouskho where 'each finger is responsible for two frets'. Actually the open string is associated with the first finger as it usually follows that note. But the sequence of playing open, one - two (index finger), fret 3 and 4 (second finger), fret 5 and 6 (ring finger) then fret 7 and 8 (Pinky finger) keeping all unused fingers very close to the string. "Go back down" in reverse order and then over to the next string for the same sequence.

I have small hands and find that this exercise helps to get that muscle memory for locating the notes. I think it is because I think of all four fingers as a unit, not just individual fingers doing a task. So my whole hand sometimes moves toward the tail piece, (fingers not used hovering above a fret to enable the reach for the pinky notes. ) And going back down is pretty easy to align the finger / fret match up.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile