Thread: New solo mandolin piece recorded with a Pava

Default New solo mandolin piece recorded with a Pava

I wrote this song last summer, but finally got around to recording it! I'm using a Pava mandolin recorded with a Shure sm-81. I think it's some of the nicest recording quality I've gotten out of my mandolin--very warm. It feels like it holds its own with the interesting rhythmic chord progressions, but would love input if you think something else could be added!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...3&d=1649196118

2. The following members say thank you to mixolydia for this post:

Default Re: New solo mandolin piece recorded with a Pava

I feel the melody line is getting a bit lost in the chord sequence. Your chordal structure is interesting and you play it well and your tone is excellent but the melody seems not to stand out. I get the impression you have been developing the sequence and are till looking for a strong tune to go with it.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I agree. That’s a great way of putting it. Usually, I like to write Mandolin + Guitar duets, but it wasn’t coming to me exactly how the guitar could fit in. Maybe framing it as emphasizing the melody or even a strong vocal line would work.

I disagree. Very enjoyable, interesting changes, and enough of a melody line for me. Not everything has to be Giant Steps.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

6. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

I liked it, has a very "American" quality to it.
    It could easily work as an ensemble piece and in my mind I could hear bass, guitar and fiddle parts.
    I'll agree with John Kelly that to be a solo mandolin piece the melody might be stronger ( less chordal).
    The playing is first rate, I think there's room for more bottom end in the sound.
    Is there a title ?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I am terrible at coming up with titles...so, no there isn't yet. A solo pianist I listen to says he writes down snippets of conversation and turns of phrase that come up in casual conversation amongst his friends and family and uses those, out of context, to name his songs. I always thought that was a clever way to name instrumentals and need to start remembering to actually write these things down!