Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loar awareness...beginning when??

Default Re: Loar awareness...beginning when??

In the 50's before any individuals were making F mandolins and Gibson was missing the mark I would say yes, the Loar was the pinnacle and would remain so until other alternatives came about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    There is no doubt that the Loar is a fantastic instrument. But is it the pinnacle? I know a lot of modern violin makers get frustrated with having to replicate a 18th century technology in the 21st century. I wonder if our modern mandolin makers (and we are in a golden age) have similar frustrations?
    In my view the issue is confusing the pinnacle with the bullseye. Pinnacles can eventually be exceeded. Not so with bullseyes. There are today plenty of mandolins that sound as good if not better than a Gibson Loar F5, and yes it is possible to build a violin that sounds as good if not better than a Strad. The standard became to sound like target instrument, rather than sound amazing.

I take rcc's point that there is a history as to how we got here. And possibly it was inevitable. But here we are.

Another example, IMO, is Freddy Mercury. Yes he was and is in many ways the pinnacle. But I detect some who are legendizing him into being the bullseye. No matter how good one can sing, nobody will sound like Freddy Mercury. So if only FM will do, we gotta problem.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    In my view the issue is confusing the pinnacle with the bullseye. Pinnacles can eventually be exceeded. Not so with bullseyes. There are today plenty of mandolins that sound as good if not better than a Gibson Loar F5, and yes it is possible to build a violin that sounds as good if not better than a Strad. The standard became to sound like target instrument, rather than sound amazing.

I take rcc's point that there is a history as to how we got here. And possibly it was inevitable. But here we are.

Another example, IMO, is Freddy Mercury. Yes he was and is in many ways the pinnacle. But I detect some who are legendizing him into being the bullseye. No matter how good one can sing, nobody will sound like Freddy Mercury. So if only FM will do, we gotta problem.
    That’s excellently put.

So is a Loar the pinnacle? Or is it a bullseye?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The center of the bullseye cannot ever be exceeded.
    Robin Hood splitting the arrow???

So having proclaimed my ignorance of the fine details of early bluegrass I did some reading this morning, specifically on the Osbornes and Stanleys.
    It appears Pee Pee Lambert would be a stepping stone in the evolution of the Loar in bluegrass. How about some stories?
    There's a good amount about him online including a 2008 thread here. But not that much about the mandolin connection.
    However reading how 16 year old JD Crowe played with him you can sure see the link from the beginnings of bluegrass into the future when you think of the members of JD's bands.
    Last edited by Jim Hilburn; Apr-14-2022 at 11:09am.

Did you mean ' Pewee Lambert ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Doh!
    Too late to edit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Doh!
    Too late to edit
    I love spellcheck!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

this thing is informative, thanks for this

Blog Entries

Wasn't Benny Cain going around with a trunk load of Loars back in the late 50's early 60's? I'm sure anyone who followed Monroe knew what he played as you seen more guys with F-5's in the 50's but more so in the 60's.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Wasn't Benny Cain going around with a trunk load of Loars back in the late 50's early 60's? I'm sure anyone who followed Monroe knew what he played as you seen more guys with F-5's in the 50's but more so in the 60's.
    This I gathered from advertisements (also of the Benny Cain Loar) at Tony Williamson´s website.
    Olaf