Thread: NMD Silverangel

Default NMD Silverangel

I actually got it on Friday, but was waiting to post an NMD until a little issue got straightened out. The first fret popped up a little at the ends, and was causing some problems fretting cleanly on the second fret on the e and g courses. Ken offered to take care of it and cover return shipping, but I ended up fixing it myself.

Many of you probably saw it on the classifieds recently. This Econo A model is Silverangel #512. Italian Spruce top, maple back and sides, Rubner tuners with ebony buttons, pickup, etc.

Compared to my Kentucky KM-500 (my only real point of comparison), it has a much richer and woodier, vintagey tone and more resonance. Both better bass and fuller more musical trebles too, and a bit more volume. I still wish for just a bit more of a snappy attack on the g course.

I think it looks really good... unless you look really really closely... there are a couple of little finish issues, and I was a bit surprised when I looked very carefully, to find that the back is actually a three piece, though the third piece is more a patch at the curve of the bass side bout, though nearly hidden under the dark part of the sunburst. I was a bit put off by some of these at first, but all of those are forgivable for a handbuilt instrument at this price point.

Still getting it dialed in and adjusting to the EJ75s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220403_174354402.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	200462

Name:	PXL_20220403_174638736.MP.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	200463

Name:	PXL_20220403_174509826.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	200464

Name:	PXL_20220401_215115464.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	200465

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caberguy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD Silverangel

Love my silverangel! Hope you come to love yours as much.

When I went to Carter Vintage, I thought it stood up to every instrument under that cost less than a $12-15k Red Diamond that I really liked. That's pretty remarkable considering how many mandolins I played that could be traded in for a used car.

My friend had a silver angel "f" style and prefered it over his daily .....they are an awesome mando.

You have good times ahead.

I’ve had my SA for 2 years. For the first time, recently I had trouble hearing it when I was up against 5 heavily strummed guitars. Otherwise it really cuts through. I’ve sometimes been embarrassed in a jam when I hit the E string too hard and a note screams out.

I’m not sure the back is anything but a typical 2 piece. Hard to see anything other than grain in the oicture.

So get busy and play!
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Quote Originally Posted by A-board View Post
    I’m not sure the back is anything but a typical 2 piece. Hard to see anything other than grain in the oicture.
    You may be right. But that figure definitely shifts. Taking a closeup, it doesn't look like as straight a line as I had thought.

Name:	PXL_20220407_012122658.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	200468

I see what you mean about the back, but I think it might just be some grain shift/runout. Ken’s always been a straight shooter not only in my personal dealing but anytime issues have occurred with his mandos and subsequently reported here (usually after resolution of said issue, and I can only think of 1 or 2 that I remember seeing posted out of a lot of mandolin builds). I’d ask him and see what he says. Either way, if it’s got the tone, as you said, at his price point, who cares as long as it stays structurally sound; and if it doesn’t, he’ll make it right.

I played a SA Econo for 8 or nine years before moving to my Kelley A-5, and mine wasn’t cosmetically perfect, either, but I chose to keep it over a Collings MT I got in a trade during those years. I also took a trip to Nashville during that period and truly thought that nothing I played under 6 grand was better. (So I came home with a National RM-1, lol). I suspect that G string will grow on you. It’s different, but he does build in more bass than most. Also, mine played fine with J74 or J75, so if you’re not digging the 75s don’t be hesitant to switch ‘em out.

Congrats on what’s likely to be your new favorite mandolin after sufficient play time/break in. That said, I have NFI in Ken’s operation, and if it doesn’t grow on you, by all means trade it on or sell it. (I traded mine + cash for a Weber OM…I paid 900 for mine used and it sold at TMS at 1500 within a day of hitting the site). I just feel like he’s putting out great sounding instruments at a very fair price point, which I really appreciate, especially as everything else is shooting up.
    Last edited by CES; Apr-06-2022 at 9:55pm.

Made a little sound sampler.

Open Strings->Open Chords->Chopped Chords (I don't REALLY know what I'm doing)->Clinch Mountain Backstep.

I little sloppy in the Clinch Mt. part, but I'm only a few months in coming over from guitar. A cent or two off on tuning in a couple of spots.

MXL V250 (large diaphragm condenser)-> behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD->Audacity.

https://dgbrown.expressions.syr.edu/...ilverangel.mp3

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, Bluechip TAD 50...

In a recent jam, an accomplished player complemented the sound of my Silverangel. He played it for a few minutes and I had a rare chance to hear it being well played while I faced it. Sounded fabulous.
    Last edited by A-board; Apr-08-2022 at 11:21am.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

10. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caberguy View Post
    Made a little sound sampler.
    Sounds great to my ears.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Blog Entries