Thread: Thoughts on a 2005 Eastman

Default Thoughts on a 2005 Eastman

I was wondering how the quality of Eastman 615:mandolins were in the early 2000s.
    Would this be a good back up mandolin? Any comments are welcome. I presently use an older Breedlove quartz as a backup and travel mandolin. Which has a better playability and tonal quality?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Thoughts on a 2005 Eastman

I had a 2006 615 that was REALLY good.

Depends on the individual mandolin. I think Eastman took a big step forward in consistency in the 2013-14 period-ish). I used to have a 2015 315 that was a very good mandolin, especially for the price. Prior to then there was more variability…some awesome, some OK, and the occasional dud, with a definite emphasis on the OK spectrum. I think whatever changes they made in the early 20-teens shifted that curve to the right a fair amount…

Breedloves are known for having a wider nut, Eastman tends to be on the narrower end of the spectrum. The older Eastman is more likely to have a flat FB and smaller frets, the Breedlove most likely has a radius and larger frets. Which is more playable depends on set up and individual preference. Breedlove made some very nice mandolins at their height…

Sorry, but you really need to try them side by side to know the answers to your questions. Ask for a 48 or 72 hour approval period and roll dem dice

But before rolling, I wonder what the Breedlove is lacking that makes you want to change it up. If you just want a change, hey, I get it, change as you’d like. Or, is there a particular playability or tone issue you’d like to improve upon?

I had a 2004 Breedlove Quartz, and now have a 2014 Eastman 505. This year I considered switching back to the Breedlove, but ended up keeping the Eastman, because it was not worth the effort to switch back. I think tonally they are different, both were very playable. I did buy a 2021 Eastman MD604 that I returned for playability issues. I’d only switch from a Breedlove to a Eastman if I played the Eastman and significantly preferred the Eastman’s tone.

Thanks for the responses!
    I think I will stick with my Breedlove! I also like the love in it!
    I have to agree that the Breedlove neck and action really has nice playability.
    By the way It has been a great travel mandolin. It has been from Canada to Vietnam to Morocco and so on without any problems.
    I should mention that this Breedlove is the older American built Quartz model.

I have a 2005 515 that I never play. Too quiet and thin sounding.

Hi Barry, if the Ottawa Mando Soc ever gets together again and I can come, I’ll show you my 2009 505. An excellent instrument. 12th Fret had a wall full of them in 2009 and I tried most of them—I found the consistency excellent at that time, just liked this one the best. Only substantive change I’ve made is Grover 309 tuners and a refret (fir3t 12 frets only.) I would inspect an older one for fret wear. If I was refretting it again I would do a full refret and get wider EVOs or gold or something instead F 12 to match the rest. Main change Eastman has made in A-body models since those days is going from a sort-of F style-peghead—for replacement tuners you need the F-style ones and not all of them for either —to a snakehead, as of 2011 I think.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music