Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

Default Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

I like my Eastman a lot, but I think it's time to move on up. Unfortunately my budget max's out at 2500 all in. I'm looking for something with a great chop, and a radius fretboard like the Eastman. I know the nut is a bit narrow on the Eastman and I wouldn't mind a touch wider. I play 99% bluegrass and mostly in crowded jams, so currently I find it really hard to hear myself (even with a Tone-Gard) over a bunch of guitars and other mandos/banjos. I've been perusing the classifieds here and on FB but only a couple of instruments have jumped out at me. Whatever I buy next will probably be my forever mando so I want to make the right choice. I know asking this will get a really wide range of answers, but....any suggestions of what I should be looking for?

Default Re: Time to move up from my Eastman MD515

You might want to consider this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185824#185824

I was super impressed by the Northfield Model M I played a couple of months ago at Fiddler's Green. Really beautiful voice, and in no way a lesser mandolin than my F5S. That one sold, but I found one on the classifieds (NFI):

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185807#185807
    1913 Gibson F2 (Blacktop)
    2022 Big Muddy Mandola (M-16, Ziricote back and sides, Adirondack top)
    2022 Kentucky KM-120 (Elevated fretboard conversion)
    1940s Kay Banjolin
    1930s Martin Style 0 Ukulele
    1920s Vega Senator Plectrum Banjo (GDAE octave mando tuning)

I bought a used 515V last after test driving a 515 in a local music store (which i would have bought if they hadn't sold it). I find it plenty loud, and it is now my main instrument - even over my Collings MT. I was even surprised to find that I prefer the narrower neck - it's easier to get the 2200 A chord with one finger. I hope you find the one that fills your void!

Cheers,

Rob
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

5. The following members say thank you to RobP for this post:

Lots of good options at that price point. Agree with looking at the Northfield A, Collings MT, and would also consider Silverangel mandolins. Keep an eye out for Redline’s A style, Flatiron As, and used Webers. It may take some patience, but you’ll find a good ‘un!

If you're willing to go used, then a Collings MT or a Northfield F5S would work. Both are pro level instruments and can easily be a last mandolin.

A Flatiron would be a flat fingerboard. Unless it was reworked.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

That MT with the pick-guard looks like a good deal, definitely worth considering. If you like your Eastman and wanted an F style, there's a used Eastman 915 at Down Home Guitars for 2,250.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

A Collings MT has the sonic capability to be heard in a jam and so does the model M. It comes down to which and setup you like best. The spacing between strings and courses, the nut width, and the neck relief all play a part in this. I have had both. I find the setup on the MTs more to my liking. One likes to buy something where you don't fiddle around and of course it is what you are used to as well.
    Nic Gellie

Post number 2 gives a link to a mandolin in ' nearly un played ' condition, an instrument has either been played or not been played, can't be ' nearly ' not played.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Dave: could that be a sighting of the elusive Schrödinger's Mandolin?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

I bought a 515 in 2005 thinking I was getting this great instrument because they were all the rage. Played it for a couple years before realizing it was way quiet and thin sounding even after a good set up. Never again. Later people were saying it was a more modern sound as an excuse.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Good replies above. You want loud, which probably narrows it down to a spruce and maple instrument with F-holes.

Do you have other preferences? Do you care:

- whether it's an A-or F-style (or other)?
    - whether the neck joins at the tenth or twelfth fret?
    - whether it has a pickguard?
    - what color it is?
    - about bling?
    - whether it has a florida?
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
    I bought a 515 in 2005 thinking I was getting this great instrument because they were all the rage. Played it for a couple years before realizing it was way quiet and thin sounding even after a good set up. Never again. Later people were saying it was a more modern sound as an excuse.
    Interesting… I think Eastman has learned a lot since 2005. A recent-year 515 I worked on was neither thin nor quiet. It was louder than several Gibsons I've played. Not a refined tone but lots of oomph.

Quote Originally Posted by mdttyler View Post
    I like my Eastman a lot, but I think it's time to move on up. Unfortunately my budget max's out at 2500 all in. I'm looking for something with a great chop, and a radius fretboard like the Eastman. I know the nut is a bit narrow on the Eastman and I wouldn't mind a touch wider. I play 99% bluegrass and mostly in crowded jams, so currently I find it really hard to hear myself (even with a Tone-Gard) over a bunch of guitars and other mandos/banjos. I've been perusing the classifieds here and on FB but only a couple of instruments have jumped out at me. Whatever I buy next will probably be my forever mando so I want to make the right choice. I know asking this will get a really wide range of answers, but....any suggestions of what I should be looking for?
    The owner of one of Nashville's most famous acoustic instrument stores told me that no mandolin under $5,000 is going to beat a Collings MT. I used to own an MT and have played a lot of mandolins in the $2,000 - $10,000 range and my experience aligns with this opinion.

There was a used Collings MT wide nut, for under $ 2,500.oo posted today. It only lasted a few hours.

Good luck with your search!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

19. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I love my MT and sometimes I play it more, but all in all, Big Mon Engelmann rules the roost in my chicken coop. It really is a great mando and several good pickers who come up to jam have concurred. One friend who said my BigMon was great has placed in the top 5 at Winfield at least 5 times, I know he was second three times. He also won Merlefest. When he played it he said”you don’t have to pay $20k for a great mandolin anymore”.

I’m not saying it is the best because I know there are a lot of great builders out there, but for under $5k it is a lot of bang for the buck. I do love my MT, though! I had one before and had some medical problems so I sold it. Once I got to where I could play again I bought another. I would look at the Northfield M model for sure though.

Now I need to replace (rebuy) a Gibson Es-335 dot reissue (semi-hollow body electric guitar) that I miss a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Post number 2 gives a link to a mandolin in ' nearly un played ' condition, an instrument has either been played or not been played, can't be ' nearly ' not played.
    Dave H
    Jeez, Dave, I found your post "nearly unread."

Only went through it once before posting this...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

The comment about nothing under $5000 will beat the MT is a very strong statement viewed as 'one person's opinion'. Big Mon has everything you'd want and that's just one mandolin under $5000. Loads of others.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webber View Post
    I was super impressed by the Northfield Model M I played a couple of months ago at Fiddler's Green. Really beautiful voice, and in no way a lesser mandolin than my F5S. That one sold, but I found one on the classifieds (NFI):

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185807#185807
    Last week I acquired a Northfield model M and it’s a great little mando. Highly recommend. I used to own an MT and I think the Northfield rivals the MT. NFI, but Last time I looked they had a blond top M at The Mandolin Store with a sound clip.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Lots of good options at that price point. Agree with looking at the Northfield A, Collings MT, and would also consider Silverangel mandolin.
    Another vote for Silverangel (Ken Ratcliff), plenty of power. But as you compete with larger numbers of guitars and banjos, you’ll get lost no matter what you’re playing. In a proper jam environment, other players back off to allow the solo breaks to stand out. Maybe some jam etiquette needs to be introduced.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

There is a killer Northfield M over at Dusty Strings in Seattle. That will give you everything you need as far as tone, volume and playability. Warm and woody without being woofy...

Oh... stop the presses... they just got in another one! So now they have an amber finish model and a "leather burst". Haven't played the leather burst, the the other one was superb.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. In terms of what I'm looking for, I'd prefer an F style, but that's not a must. It looks like the votes are in for the Collings MT and Northfield M. I do see that both pop up often enough. It's just so nerve racking buying an instrument without ever playing it first.

Quote Originally Posted by mdttyler View Post
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. In terms of what I'm looking for, I'd prefer an F style, but that's not a must. It looks like the votes are in for the Collings MT and Northfield M. I do see that both pop up often enough. It's just so nerve racking buying an instrument without ever playing it first.
    Buying well-known and well-regarded brands does come with benefits beyond the quality of the instrument. With either a Collings or Northfield you might be able to get a seller to agree to a 48-hour tryout period, and even if you later decide that it's not for you, you should be able to easily re-sell or trade.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

29. The following members say thank you to Tighthead for this post:

In your price range you will not find a significant up grade in an F style compared to your Eastman. The next level might be something like this Ratliff...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185854#185854

If you really want to upgrade, you will be in the 5K range and will have plenty to choose from.

So save your money and play the Eastman until you can get the F-5 you want or go for an A style that will suit your needs.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

31. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Thanks everybody. I just pulled the trigger on an amber Northfield M. I figure if I don't like it, I can just re-sell it here.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdttyler For This Useful Post: