Thread: What are the best flatwounds for classical on Gibson H1 model?

Default What are the best flatwounds for classical on Gibson H1 model?

I presently use Thomastiks on my classical Bowlback and want to try flatwounds on my old H1 Gibson Mandola. Which comparable flatwounds would you suggest? And sources to purchase them? Also what works well on these older Gibson Mandolas?
    Thank you!

Default Re: What are the best flatwounds for classical on Gibson H1 model

I was wondering if I posted this in the correct category?

Teacher, repair person

I don't use flatwounds, but my old Gibson likes a fairly light set, which I make up myself out of singles. 12 - 20 - 32 - 49 or 50, depending on the brand.

Single strings are available from D'Addario, GHS, and Curt Mangan. I was unable to find loop end flatwounds on their websites, though.

I see that Thomastik does make a mandola set. They run around $60/set.
    For some reason, the JustStrings website specifies that the set is "Only for European mandola . . . with a scale length of 38 cm;" which is approximately 15". The scale length for an old Gibson is 15 3/4". So I don't know whether the Thomastiks would work or not. It appears that unless someone here has tried them on a Gibson, you would have to take a $60 gamble to find out.
    Last edited by rcc56; Apr-14-2022 at 6:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I see that Thomastik does make a mandola set. They run around $60/set.
    For some reason, the JustStrings website specifies that the set is "Only for European mandola . . . with a scale length of 38 cm;" which is approximately 15". The scale length for an old Gibson is 15 3/4". So I don't know whether the Thomastiks would work or not. It appears that unless someone here has tried them on a Gibson, you would have to take a $60 gamble to find out.
    What you want is the Thomastik "alto mandolin" set, the 164s. The "European mandola" set is the 174s.
    https://www.juststrings.com/toi-164.html

You could also get ball-end strings and crush the balls with pliers.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

The poor mandolists’ world is so confusing. Martin is right on the money. Alto mandola. Or mandoliola BION.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I use the Thomastik alto mandola strings on my Gibson H1 and would totally recommend them. They play easy, no squeak and the sound is great to my ear. They are a nice overall sound.

I have Thomastiks on the Lyon & Healy mandola. Very nice.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Barry Canada - you are in the right place. I have used Thomastik flat wounds in a Gibson A4 (standard set). Love the sound, love the soft feel.

I now use Thomastik flat wounds on my Bruce Weber pancake OM. Had to do a custom set using individual strings
    from the "GB" jazz guitar series. the ball ends I crush using extra big pliers (they are brittle and crush easily). around usd$10 per
    string, 6 strings. not cheap.

for me, these strings last about 1-2 years, eventually they go false (intonation is off) and have to be replaced.

only place I found to buy these strings is "just strings" (I am in Vancouver, BC)
    https://www.juststrings.com/electric...lestrings.html

use a string gauge calculator to guesstimate string gauges for your H1. if you are lucky, maybe you can use
    some of the strings in the thomastik guitar strings sets, I see most local music stores have them.

Thanks! Just ordered a set of Thomastiks Altos from JustStrings!
    Looking forward to trying them out!