Thread: Doyle Lawson – tell us about your mandolin

Default Doyle Lawson – tell us about your mandolin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Doyle Lawson – tell us about your mandolin

Thanks for posting this. I remember standing outside the Shamrock when I was too young to go in, and listening to the music. I knew right away that this was what I wanted to play though it took a few more years before I became serious abot the mandolin and discovered Doyle Lawson. I was very fortunate to have some friends uncover a 29 Fern F5 for me when I became the designated mandolin player in a little band I was in at the time. When I got it, it was in sorry shape, in need of some dedicated TLC. Living in MT then and being from the DC area, I had heard about John Paganoni and knew he was the one I needed to get help for my newly acquired F5, and after contacting him, shipped it off. His repairs have held up extremely well and allowed me to continue to play this instrument to this day some 40 years later. It resides in one of John's fine cases as well. I remember him being such a humble gentleman and very knowledgeable about F5 mandolins, I learned a lot from his communications. I am a great fan of both Mr. Lawson and Mr. Paganoni!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredzipp For This Useful Post:

Thanks for posting this. Always enjoy hearing about Doyle Lawson.

Adam

Being new to most string band music, I'm always still learning about some of the iconic players.

How I found out about Doyle Lawson was, I went to see a band called Monadnock Bluegrass at a local park. Before the show, I got talking to their mandolin player, Craig, who showed me his Paganoni mandolin. He told me about Doyle Lawson and how his mandolin was from the same batch as Doyle's and was something special. I went home and looked up both the builder and the musician. Next day I set up my speaker outside and listened for a fair portion of the afternoon while I was stacking wood.

Thanks for posting the article.

Doyle hs had some Loars too hasn't he?

I’ve seen clips of him playing a Gibson Victorian…

I started my subscription to BG today pretty much because of the above mentioned “School of Bluegrass” column from Doyle the day it started. I’ve met the man a couple of times, a good friend is quite close to him as good friends can get, she has shot some video of the band which is high quality to say the least. There is so much respect that he has for fans it’s really nice to see. Doyle has always been very kind to her mother as well, and as I told my friend “She’s a Loar model” born in ‘23! My friend shared that with Doyle and he never forgets it. He remembers her and takes time to visit every time they get to one of his shows. What a great guy.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post: