Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F-5G vs. Northfield Big Mon vs. others in $5k-$6K range

Default Gibson F-5G vs. Northfield Big Mon vs. others in $5k-$6K range

Possibly looking to jump up into this price range for an F style. Not married to the"name" brands; they're just what I'm familiar with based on limited knowledge. I play singer-songwriter and new-grass in a trio with a guitar player and bass player.

First - does anyone know if the fretboard extension on the Gibson F-5G is scooped? I can't tell from photos/videos. Any thoughts on it vs. Big Mon playability and tone-wise?

Finally, other brands/models I should look into in this price range? Unfortunately I live in an acoustic instrument desert and would have to buy online without playing first so consistency from one instrument to the next in standard production models is a consideration.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson F-5G vs. Northfield Big Mon vs. others in $5k-$6K rang

The fingerboard extension on a new F-5G is not scooped.
    In that price range, I have played instruments by other makers that I prefer over the F-5G's I have played.
    I have not played one that has been made in the last five years, though. Although I'm only a couple of hours from the plant, we just don't see new Gibsons around here.

I've only played one Northfield, an early F-5 model. I remember it as being a decent, good looking instrument, no more, no less. I should play another one next time I'm in Nashville to see what they're making now.

And you should be concerned about the necks. I don't know what the newest ones are like, but many modern era Gibsons have narrow necks with a deep U shape, which may or may not suit you. The U-shaped necks are very different in feel from the moderate rounded V's that many other modern makers are building.

Whatever you do, I strongly recommend that you only buy an instrument with a 48 hour return policy in case the neck or the sound doesn't suit you.

From the numbers you gave above, the F-5G is out of your price range unless you buy used. A new one costs $6999.
    You can certainly also look at Collings. We used one in the last trio I was in with good results. If they ever get back into production, you might also want to consider Pava. I haven't played one, but their reputation is good. I also see a couple of used Czech instruments [Capek, Prucha] in your price range.

And if you're not specifically wanting a scroll model, handmade A models can be had in your price range that will be more mandolin for the money. There is a Newson A-5 in the classifieds for $4950 [nfi]. Paul Newson builds instruments of very high quality, and the last A model of his that I played was a "lifetime" instrument for someone. Carter Vintage has a new Duff A-5 for $6050 and a used one for $5250 [also nfi].

Someone will accuse me of being off topic, but I'll mention that I have also often used an old Gibson A-4 for live trio work, and found it to be quite microphone friendly.

I will also mention that a few years ago, my friendly local music store had 3 moderately priced used F models in stock; a better grade Weber, an Eastman 815, and an older F-5G. I A-B-C'd them several times, and also played them for the store owner who was standing where he couldn't see which ones I was playing. The Gibson came in third.
    Last edited by rcc56; Apr-10-2022 at 10:15am.

I had an older F5G, and a Northfield M. Obviously the M isn't the same as the Big Mon, the the M and all Northfields I've played have been very comfortable to play. Both the F5g and Big Mon are fine mandolins. To me the Gibson has a slightly drier sound, more traditional, the Big Mon a little more round, but still traditional.

In your price range I'd seriously consider that Newson, or find/order a Kimble A5.

This might do the trick....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/185866#185866

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Hey Mike... there is a brand new Northfield F5S (amber finish, tortoise binding) at Dusty Strings in Seattle that is an absolute killer! I went down there with a new student on Friday to find him a new mandolin and we both agreed it was the best in the shop... including the more expensive Northfield F5 models!

The only reason he didn't buy it was because it was out of his price range... but not yours I don't think. Check it out!

Teacher, repair person

There you go. Hands on experience, modest price, and a long-established store with a return policy.

And that would leave you $1500 - $2500 left over from your budget for a Gibson oval hole, or a mandola or octave mandolin.
    Or a good fiddle or banjo. Or a good used Martin guitar. Or a US Fender Strat.
    Or a vacation.

If you want to scrape the upper end of your budget, a used northfield 4th Gen at 6k is a killlller option. You’ll have entered the stratosphere that really only gets bested by instruments 12k+. Of course, if you like the tone, and you should do your research about what to expect and get sound samples from the seller and understand what sort of voiced instrument you’re buying. 4th Gen is a more fundamental, mid range, Loar-esque beast, for example, and knowing what a Collings sounds like with the mid-range scoop and the bassy presence and all that will go a long ways in helping you know what you’re getting. It’s tough and there’s a learning curve!

Although, there’s something to be said for getting something like the Nf5S from dusty strings and saving money to use on other goods! It’s all about if you can count on playing it a billion hours and loving it and appreciating the differences you’ll gain from much higher expense…

Collings MF mandolins used can pop up in this price. There was an MF5 that just sold for only 5k a few days ago. Their MT2 mando is a very nice A model.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Hey Mike... there is a brand new Northfield F5S (amber finish, tortoise binding) at Dusty Strings in Seattle that is an absolute killer! I went down there with a new student on Friday to find him a new mandolin and we both agreed it was the best in the shop... including the more expensive Northfield F5 models!

The only reason he didn't buy it was because it was out of his price range... but not yours I don't think. Check it out!
    Buy that one so I don't have to! I have been drooling over it
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I would go to some place like Nashville and play lots of mandolins. I have a Northfield Big Mon and I have to say it is one of the best mandos I've played.

A good friend has a Gilchrist F and he brings it over occasionally. We played them back to back and individually. My friend has placed at Winfield five times or maybe more. He also won Merlefest. He said my Big Mon is a superior instrument. Honestly, it sounds unbelievably similar to his Gilchrist! He said, "now you don't have to spend $20,000 or Mrs to get a great Instrument!". I also have a Collings MT2, and I like it a lot. It's a different flavor, but a great one.

This is just my experience. I can't say that others would have the same experience.

Spell-check changed my word "more" to "Mrs". But you don't have to sell the Mrs.either.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigMonOnCampus For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

You may have read this comment from me on another thread a while back on Northfield Mandolins, but here goes again.
    A few years back while traveling back to the Pittsburgh area from Upper Michigan, I found myself near Lansing and decided to visit Elderly Instruments, though not in the market for a new instrument. I spent several hours playing everything they had in their large selection of new and used mandolins.
    To my ears the best sounding instrument I played that day was a Northfield F Style that I think was about $4400. I was very tempted to purchase on a whim and would have surely done so if it had been an A Style.
    This particular mandolin may have been a freak but the other Northfields I played that day were quite nice as well.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I'm a fan of many brand mandolins having owned/own probably more than I should. To my ears the Northfield has a complex sound similar to Collings. My Fern sounds similar to the F5G I once owned. To me the Gibson sound is a more singular sound, it's hard for me to describe otherwise. I think you just need to try as many as you can to see what you prefer.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

We have not heard from the OP since his first post, I wonder if he has decided on a mandolin?
    Charley

OP here - have not made any decisions yet but but greatly appreciate all the suggestions; have lots of research to do! I already have a pretty nice mando - a Kentucky KM-1050 - so I want to make sure my next step is indeed to noticeable step up. Thanks again for all the input.

16. The following members say thank you to mikerofone for this post:

Glassweb,
    Was this the darker finished Adi topped, or the Blonde Engelmann topped?
    Last edited by Eric Hanson; Apr-13-2022 at 10:50am. Reason: Spelling
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    Glassweb,
    Not Glassweb but he mentioned it's the one with "amber finish, tortoise binding".

This Brock F-5 just hit the classifieds....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186173#186173

And this F-5 from Skip Kelley.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186086#186086

NFI
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    Glassweb,
    I think he means this one...

https://store.dustystrings.com/p-109...f5e-amber.aspx
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    Unfortunately I live in an acoustic instrument desert and would have to buy online without playing first so consistency from one instrument to the next in standard production models is a consideration.
    In that case, you're looking at the two mandolins that you mentioned and the lower-level Collings F's that others have mentioned. Before COVID, there also would have been Weber Yellowstones, but no mo.

I'm not sure that there is a definite answer to which of these mandolins is better, since at that price range, you'll be getting great tone out of most mandolins. You might get more out of asking how these mandolins sound different from each other,

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    This Brock F-5 just hit the classifieds....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186173#186173

And this F-5 from Skip Kelley.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186086#186086

NFI
    And unfortunately, the OP won't be able to do a side-by-side with either of those and a Big Mon. That said, this is where that understandable preference for standardized production could be a limitation. Either of Charley's finds could be a significant step above the standardized mandolins at that price point.

I'd have two concerns about the Brock. First, I'd like to know its serial number, since the seller said that it's about twenty years old, and I'm not sure how long Brock had been building by that point. If the SN is well into double digits, the instrument should be great. Second, I wouldn't feel comfortable paying a private party for an instrument by wire transfer.

With the Kelley, the only issue with that gorgeous mandolin might be the tone of its redwood top, if you're a total spruce-top player.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

one of the main things i would consider is what kind of tone are you looking for. the brands you listed do vary quite a bit. Northfields are typically very nice instruments and most important also is that they come with excellent setups, tuners that work smooth and hold tuning exact(this is a huge plus). all a new owner has to do is adjust neck relief to suit oneself and bridge height.

i do like Gibson tone and products quite well. be aware that the F5G current model will have a flat fretboard, 1 1/16" wide nut, and the small fretwire, along with the traditional dry Gibson tone. i've grown to really like this model and its sound. the few i've had hands on with have all been very well built with very nice traditional tone. also the setups from the shop have been as good as the Northfields i have owned. i also find the neck profile shapes to be fast, to my hands they have what i call soft V shape with not a lot of wood on the shoulders-but not as V shape as a Collings.

putting a scoop on the F5G is not a labor intensive or expensive job. i would not let that hold me back from owning one of these.

good luck, and you are considering some very good quality built and tone filled brands
    d

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post

With the Kelley, the only issue with that gorgeous mandolin might be the tone of its redwood top, if you're a total spruce-top player.
    I had Kelley #54 for 5 years and it was a really great mando, plenty of bluegrass power.

Apologies to anyone else that was considering it, but I had to pull the trigger on that amber Northfield after drooling over it for a couple of weeks. Blame Glassweb 100%
    Needed a good second mando to compliment my 4th Gen and I like the idea of having an Engelmann as an alternative sound.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I have Kelley #57 & I love both the look & the tone of the redwood top. My personal experience with both Northfield & Skip Kelley's work is limited to my own collection but I heartily recommend either.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

[QUOTE=Eric Hanson;1862761]Glassweb,
    [/QUOTE

Eric - It was the only Northfield F5S in the store... I can't remember the top wood, but it was the only Northfield there with an amber top and tortoise binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

Thanks Charles... yes, that is the one. A great sounding and playing mandolin...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I had Kelley #54 for 5 years and it was a really great mando, plenty of bluegrass power.

Apologies to anyone else that was considering it, but I had to pull the trigger on that amber Northfield after drooling over it for a couple of weeks. Blame Glassweb 100%
    Needed a good second mando to compliment my 4th Gen and I like the idea of having an Engelmann as an alternative sound.
    Guilty as charged. Hey Drew, I hope you're as impressed with this example as I was. A really nice axe! Northfield's F5S, their "entry" level F5 is unbeatable.