Thread: Embergher with neck crack on ShopGoodwill

Default Embergher with neck crack on ShopGoodwill

is this the real deal? Looks very plain.
    https://shopgoodwill.com/item/142154900
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Embergher with neck crack on ShopGoodwill

It appears to be one of the lower end models and there is a date on that label- is it 1944, which is after he had died. We don't get to see the tuners which might help date it. Here below is one which was definitely made after he had died. Shame about the broken and mended neck. I am sure somebody here will shed more light on it.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/51033952-...BoCWQ8QAvD_BwE

Edit: It appears to be a "Student Type A/1" which can be seen at this link- first mandolin featured:

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/luigi_embergher.htm

There is one of these mandolins in this link and the date is 1925. I cannot work out the date on the label and maybe it is 1924 as it is so similar to the one here.

http://embergher.com/instruments-mandolini-da-studio/

I thought it was either 1914 or 1924. Yes a student model tipo A. Hah! I was hoping that you eagle eyes would not post about it but I don’t really need it. I was the first bidder. I am curious how high it will go. I have an A that Martνn Jonas helped me get years ago and a No. 1 I got as the only bidder on eBay and my treasured 1904 No. 3 which is a joy to play.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Come on , Jim, go for it! I know that the neck may be a deal breaker. I expect it is a very nice mandolin- assuming it does not have any other issues and the price is low enough to take a gamble on it.

You could go for this- currently at $9.99. It was made by Oscar Schmidt- it is similar to a Stella. I have one and it sounds great- an all mahogany mandolin. This one has lost its tailpiece- mine is engraved and a design that OS used. Mine has Santacilla on the headstock.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/142029326

It is funny when we start threads on a mandolin for sale. I certainly was going for if it stays low enough. Back maybe ten years ago among us bowlheads there was some salivating for Embergher’s and I do like playing mine but they are an acquired taste even for some of us who do play bowlback mandolins. Necks are remarkably triangular for instance. I think they have gone down a bit in price and possibly interest in general among classical players.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

So, it has to go high, even with the odd neck break and unknown other issues. Destined to be a possession, an investment, or seriously played? Does a ‘studio’ model appeal to the virtuosos these days, given Jim’s comment, above?

Well, I don't usually post things here if I plan to bid on them, but I might make an exception this time, if this is an affordable way to get into a quality bowlback. I have two bowlbacks in the house, both of which belong to the mandolin orchestra. One needs repair/setup and the other is a Martin 1907 student model I've never been very excited about.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

That is why I didn’t post anything about it with the hope it won’t go too high. Oh well. Martin bowlbacks are quality instruments. Martin, did you try stringing it with Dogal Calace strings. That makes a ton on difference.

Richard, I doubt any virtuoso who plays an Embergher would want a student model. Embergher voiced the soloist models differently from the orchestra ones. And many classical players even those who play bowlbacks may not like the severely triangular cross-sectioned and very narrow necks. Not every classical player loves Embergher. They are very different from the Neapolitan style (Calace, Vinaccia, etc.)

The biggest problem is finding someone on this side of the Atlantic with the skills and ability to work on it and properly set it up. The neck is an issue, I think I see some rib separation and these always had bar frets even into the later periods. However if it is reasonable I would consider giving it a shot.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

This No. 2 is probably is being offered with a semi-reasonable price considering its condition which looks very good. Not a bargain but I would guess it might be a good bet for anyone yearning for an good condition orchestra model. Also I have played some top of the line Emberghers from that era and those are excellent instruments made when Cerrone was in charge of the shop I believe. https://reverb.com/item/51033952-luigi-embergher-orchestra-model-2-1947-naturel
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I'm no Embergher expert by a long long shot (I don't belong in the same Universe as those terms), but I agree with Jim that the Cerrone era instruments appear to be wonderful.

I'll go out on a limb to suggest the detailing and overall quality of the 'build appearance'..whatever that might be....during the Cerrone
    era was a step above that from the LE years.

Of course this has nothing to do with the sound quality of the instruments.

The Cerrone Emberghers are exquisite.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

For reference, the ‘studio’, that is student, plain one sold for $302, with no last minute bids.

Actually, when I went to bed it was $301 so either the next bidder put it by $1 or that bidder gave up with a small increase. Not too bad but the winner will have to find a luthier to work on it or do it him or herself. Has to deal with bar frets, too. Not so easy AFAIK.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Well, if it was bought for the name, it’s good as is. I have heard that this happens.
    Last year I bought a broken Acme safe just for the Roadrunner cachet. No intention of dropping it on any animals.

16. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post: