Thread: Just got my first mandolin!

Default Just got my first mandolin!

Hi y'all, I've been interested in mandolins for a little while now and went ahead and bought one to see what it's all about.

I'm coming from bass guitar as my main instrument. I want to play bluegrass, and I like being part of the rhythm section but upright basses kinda intimidate me and I don't have a lot of space or a big car, so I figured mandolin would be a good way to go.

I got a Kentucky KM-150S that's beat to hell and has had multiple repairs but still sounds nice to my ear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220411_111913.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	200523

I've been learning bluegrass guitar too, and was able to convert it well enough to get the melody down for "Whiskey Before Breakfast"

The problem comes in where I put a really low bid on another Kentucky KM-150S before the first auction ended and won it (whoops). The other one is in really nice shape except it has one fret that doesn't work - not just buzzy, it actually plays the fret above it. Other than that, it is easier to play because it has lower action (~0.05" vs ~0.08"). They sound pretty much identical. I think a luthier could fix it but fret work is beyond my ability.

I plan to sell one of the two, but haven't decided which yet. Which one would y'all keep?

Edit: Also, do any of y'all have some good youtube videos on mandolin technique? I want to make sure I'm getting it right so I don't form bad habits.
    Last edited by milli857; Apr-11-2022 at 5:52pm.

Default Re: Just got my first mandolin!

No advice on which one to keep but the free lessons at mandolessons.com (Baron can be found on Youtube as well) is a great place to start.

Rob

I'd have a luthier check them both out -- you can see if the action can be lowered on the first one (you might need a new bridge or there might be a bow in the neck, who knows?) and if the bad fret is fixable on the second -- that way, you know if there are definite reasons to keep one over the other. OTOH, you can keep both. Because you'll need a backup, or you'll need a player for bad weather, or to take with you on a trip or ... you get the idea. Couple of us own more than one ... and welcome to mandolins and the cafe!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Re: mandolin technique - Pete Martin's videos on ergonomics are definitely worth checking out:

https://www.petemartin.info/mandolin-basics-videos.html
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Your "bad fret" is probably caused by the fret above it popping out slightly. You could reseat that high fret if possible or dress it down if it won't reseat or is just not evened out with the rest.

You may be able to slightly raise the action at the bridge as well.

Which one to keep? Although I have a couple dozen stringed instruments I avoid having two very similar ones. I've got an F5 and a hybrid F4 mandolin for example, don't think I'd want 2 F5's or 2 F4's. I prefer wide variety in tone. Take some time to see which you prefer, no rush to part with one (unless you're really in need of the funds from selling one).

Congrats on the new to you mandolin. You have chosen well IMHO. No, I’m not being a smart Alec when I say that it doesn’t really matter which one you keep. At some time after you make that decision, irrespective of which one you choose, you will have doubts about your choice, and the reality is that there isn’t enough difference between the two to make a difference. Just enjoy what you have and don’t forget your third choice, keep both of them.

7. The following members say thank you to JiminRussia for this post:

Playing on the porch

If you have easy access to a luthier who knows mandolins, I'd be inclined to let them look at both instruments. And, then unless the cash was an issue, I'd also suggest you keep both -- at least for now. I like the flexibility of owning an extra, which can double as a loaner, backup, and a campfire mandolin. I have a rather inexpensive mandolin, which is not listed here, which I would hate to lose, but it would not really break my heart if something did happen to it. It is meant to be carried while hiking, or possibly caught in the rain, or loaned to someone who wants to try out a mandolin, or used when my better instrument is in the shop. Granted, I almost always play my favorite, but that's because I'm either in the house or on the porch. However,owning two instruments saved me during the worst of the pandemic in 2020. I had a fixable problem with my Eastman during the toughest days of the pandemic and the ability to get it fixed went well beyond a week when I might not have been able to play. And, I need to play. So, my cheap backup mandolin kept me happy. And, in 2019, when a guitarist friend wanted to experiment with a mandolin, I loaned him my backup. It may not sound as pretty as a well built instrument, but it sure sounds a lot better than no instrument at all. I'm sure glad I had it.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

+1 on MandoLessons.com
    And from one bassist to another, welcome to the other side of the frequency spectrum...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Another good resource is Jack Tottle's "Bluegrass Mandolin". If bluegrass is your thing I recommend a lot of listening to some of the classic bands. Learn some basic chord positions and play along with the recordings. This will give you a good foundation for the rhythm chop. Then you can explore playing the melodies. Good luck and welcome to our wild, wacky world. One more thing, there is no medication for MAS..........

Congrats and enjoy the journey of learning.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Blog Entries

There are many great Mike Marshall videos from Artist Works and elsewhere that are very useful. Check 'em out.

There used to be one in particular great video of Mike Marshall giving tips on how to hold and play the mandolin. It was sponsored by D'Addario. Alas the video I am thinking of, which is almost legendary, is not to be found anymore. Grrrr. I naively thought nothing could be lost from the internet. I am just frustrated no longer being able to find what I was was looking for.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    Hi y'all, I've been interested in mandolins for a little while now and went ahead and bought one to see what it's all about....I want to play bluegrass...
    Brad Laird's Grass Talk Radio podcast

I listened to one today (#37) about how performers should pay attention to what they're singing as well as how they're singing, so as to better communicate the message in the music; Appalachian culture, and the dichotomy that can exist in bluegrass between what the song is about and how the music sounds. Really interesting.

Thanks for all the advice! I've been checking out some of the lessons at mandolessons.com and they've been really helpful!

The difference in tuning from bass and guitar to mandolin has been easier than I thought it would be - it honestly feels very natural already.

I also put a couple cranks in the truss rod and lowered the bridge a bit on the beat up one and now the action is at 0.06" and it feels much better!

15. The following members say thank you to milli857 for this post:

A good set is crutial. Lotsa resources on the web to do that. Not too hard to do as long as there is nothing seriously wrong with you too your mandolin.

Welcome to the Monkey House. I'm new here too.

Be sure to get a free copy of Rob Meldrum's e-book on mandolin setup. See this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Set-Up-E-Book

So I noticed the one with the buzzy fret had a few frets sticking up a bit - I just pushed them in with my finger and it doesn't buzz any more! I think I'm actually going to take the advice I got from several of you to keep both and use the more beat up one as a campfire mandolin. It still plays fairly well but not nearly as comfortable as the cleaner one.

I also noticed the tuners are different on each of them - are these ones upgraded? This is on the nicer one which actually has a lower serial number

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220418_132344.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	200697

Welcome, I just joined too. I'm coming from bass too, and guitar. Really trying to push my songwriting and add mandola to it, when it fits.