Thread: Acoustic pick ups

Default Acoustic pick ups

Have a loar lm-310 with a bridge pick up,unfortunately it picks up my palm on the bridge,was thinking of trying ortega that has preamp and volume controls.will this be just as loud since the pickup is still under the bridge?

Question Re: Acoustic pick ups

To be realistic, Acoustic, sound board pickups, be they in the bridge or attached to the top will do that,

only magnetic pickups that sense the string vibrating in a magnetic field, (so work on a solid body steel string instrument)

will be less subject to the bumps and string vibrations being equally amplified ..

<work on not touching the bridge, as you play , perhaps .. ? >

speculations continue
    Last edited by mandroid; Apr-12-2022 at 12:02pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Acoustic pick ups

I rub my hand on the bridge a lot, I don't get any sound thru the amp. Soundboard K&K and RedEye.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

the pick-up that a lot of pro's use (thile , ronnie mcourry and many others use is the clip - on a.t. 350 or pro 35 (wireless) its the best as far as price goes its only about $150 bucks you have to run it thru a phantom box then an l.r. baggs venue (about $300 bucks) then run it thru the p.a. system and your there. ronnie mcourry has a lot of effects plus the venue and also cody kilby has a crap load of effects that he uses, i have been using this set-up for a couple of years now and no feedbacks and no problems. i have seen a lot of idiots playing with bands who try to cheap out and they end up sounding very poorly on stage. why not spend the money and sound great.

I've got K&K pickups in each of my mando family instruments. They do pick up the sound of your hand on the top or on the bridge. If the sound is a very low thump, I would suspect the impedance of the preamp you are going into isn't correct. Piezo type pickups (K&K) need a 1 meg input impedance. Also on my preamp, I drop most sound under 100HZ. The mandolin doesn't produce sound that low. that gets rid of some of it.

While I do like the ATM350 clip on mic, it isn't a solution if you are in a band with a drummer and loud stage monitors. I'm not a bluegrass guy and having good sound and being loud is important. I tried the ATM350 once at a smaller show. It was unusable once stage monitors came up. I've used it on a cello in church for years and it worked great though.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com