Thread: Optimising magnetic pickup sound?

Default Optimising magnetic pickup sound?

I have a solid body 8 string with magentic pickups and nickel wound strings. The sound is OK but could be improved:

1) There's too much explosive 'ping' or 'plunk' sound at the beginning of every note. I seem to remember that a compressor can alter this, but what parameters do I need to adjust and which to avoid so I don't end up with too much sustain? Rolling some bass off on the amp (Roland bass mini cube, Super Flat amp emulation) helps a bit but not enough before I stop when the overall tone suffers. Other ideas?

2) String balance - I could do with more body in the E strings sound. Changing the strings to 11.5s (otherwise regular medium gauge) made a small positive change, and the pickups are wound up as far as possible under the high strings without touching them. I have a cheap 10 band graphic pedal I can try - what sort of boosts/cuts would you suggest to make the Es more full but not over trebly?

Thanks, Max

Default Re: Optimising magnetic pickup sound?

The heavy attack sound might be from the pickups being too close to the strings. Keeping the angle with the pickups farther away may help.
    Weak E volume is a very common issue with electric mandolins, (lots of threads about it), and is difficult to fix, especially on cheaper instruments.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandodork for this post:

maxr