Thread: Fingering Mastery by Brent & Barkley ???

Default Fingering Mastery by Brent & Barkley ???

I just ordered my copy of Fingering Mastery in the hope of finding more interesting ways of scale practice beyond first position, two octave basics. On receiving and opening it I find myself in complete bewilderment. I can only guess at what I am looking at.

Can anyone give me some hints at how to interpret the (undoubtedly valuable) diagrams.
    I am primarily a 'black dot' player. I set a piece of music in front of myself, figure out how to play it and practice , practice, practice until I hear the music forming. My preference is for Baroque era pieces (currently working on my own transcription of Handel's Entrace of the Queen of Sheeba) I'm not into improvisation, Jazz, Rock or Bluegrass.

If anyone out there is familiar with Brent & Barkley's theoretical investigations could you let me know how to read the diagrams and whether a study of modal forms is useful to me.

Thanks in anticipation
    Peter Docherty

P.S. I live near Sydney Australia if that's relevant

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fingering Mastery by Brent & Barkley ???

not sure you'll get too far judging by this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Schell-Barkley

If you're after good solid up & down the fretboard exercises then I can recommend The Mandolin Companion
    It's very useful for a whole stack of exercises that get the logic & shifts under your fingers..

Also for internalising the relationships of chords across the fingerboard I found this helpful (free download) https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...hmentid=167483
    Explanations are fairly clear & logical, with no waffle.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

You could post a photo of one page?

That (The Mandolin Companion) sounds like a pretty interesting book, but doesn't seem too widely available. I'd be interested in other' comments on it.

So strange that the authors of these books didn’t realize that players would not be able to understand their method by actually explaining it. The thread linked above and their Amazon reviews back this up.

I think the OP should check out Marilynn Mair’s two excellent volumes or get a hold of some of the classic method books by Bickford and Pettine since he knows how to read standard notation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

DougC