Thread: Banjo tuners - Grovers - friction washers replacement

Default Banjo tuners - Grovers - friction washers replacement

Can anyone advise me on the type and availability of replacement friction washers for a set of 1930s Grover tuning pegs that I have. They were on tenor guitars at that time too.

I know the size - 3/8ths diameter and 3/16ths hole, but I don't know what they were made of, or thickness, or where I can find replacements.

Any advice would be great! I'm UK based ...

many thanks

Kevin Macleod

Default Re: Banjo tuners - Grovers - friction washers replacement

I'm guessing these are 1:1 tuners? My 1931 tenor has 2:1 ratio 'pancake' tuners, and tension on those is adjusted via the tuner button screw.

On my 20s tenor banjo I improved the friction using thin stainless steel washers and one 'crinkle' spring washer. They hold well now. Measure the post - M5, 5mm, is a likely close fit.

These come from ebay sellers, budget around £3 to get 10 of each type.

3. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Great advice - will follow that line up! Many thanks for the reply!

One more thought - friction comes from the base of the tuner knob bearing on the washers. If the base isn't flat, you get less friction. Knobs can wear or distort over time, even if made flat to start with.

I've improved many ultra cheap uke tuners (never flat) just with 10 seconds sanding!

Thanks Chris, I think I have found nylon m5s online here in the UK, so will give them a go! Cheers for the helpful advice!

I have replaced the washers on several sets of Grover pancake style tuners. I found perfect size/thickness black fibre washers in a hardware store. They were used for repairing old style faucets. Go to an old timey hardware store that still have bins of small parts and ask the guy with the most gray hair and they should be able to fix you up!