Thread: Hello from Central Texas

Default Hello from Central Texas

Hello,

I'm Chris in the Austin area. I just joined after purchasing an Eastman MDA315 Mandola.

I've played guitar and bass on and off for 25 years. I've been writing songs for the last year and a half and I wanted something to spice up a few songs. The mandola is exactly the sound I wanted on them. Having fun already learning parts and driving the family crazy in the house all weekend.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Fannin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hello from Central Texas

Hello to you too! I am right next door in Cibolo./Schertz. What kind of music do you play? What kind of guitars do you play and about 100 other mundane questions. By the way, congrats on the Eastman. I also play some guitar (pretty much a novice) and am a recovering banjo player from many years ago. I have just bought (1 month +) an Ibanez 522 mandolin and I am having a ball with it. I play old time bluegrass, Appalachian folk and some Scott’s/Irish fiddle tunes and a few gospel tunes(not many or well but enthusiastically).
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Hi JiminRussia,

The songs I write fall into that melting pot of Americana category - rock/folk/country, one or two have a little Irish sound to them. Lately I've been jamming on my songs with some old friends and hopefully we'll get my songs recorded soon. I've been recording all of them in GarageBand for a while now.

I have a Fender Mustang (short scale) bass, a Gibson Les Paul Jr and a Seagull acoustic.

I like a lot of local Austin music, The Gourds, Shinyribs, Bob Schneider, Charlie Mars. I also like Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Ryan Adams, David Gray, Patty Griffin, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, Dinosaur Jr.

Welcome Chris! I’m also in Austin. You’ll find a ton of information here and congrats on the mando!!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Playing on the porch

Howdy Chris,

Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe from another Central Texan. I, too, an a mandolin enthusiast who started on the violin. I play a lot of rock, pop, country and folk from roughly the time period between 1964 and 1979. Music that I listened to back then. I also enjoy playing along with classical music.

Y'all take care.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1928 Ernst Heinrich Roth violin

And from another section of the country .... welcome to the cafe!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Welcome! I’m from NC, but just back from a great camping trip in Texas—spent a few days in Hill Country (camped in Blanco), and then at Copper Breaks and Palo Duro Canyon. Managed to meet up with a friend from Lubbock who also plays mandolin.
    Russ Jordan

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Looking forward to learning and playing this thing, maybe bump into a few of you.