Thread: MandoBird gets no respect!

Default MandoBird gets no respect!

"Children's electric guitar" indeed!
    https://shopgoodwill.com/item/142585868

A little chewed up on the back, but if you need a cheap MandoBird, this might be the one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Ranald 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MandoBird gets no respect!

Cheap? That is more than I paid for either of mine - though to be fair, that was a dozen years ago, and I haven't been following their pricing - especially after upgrading. And they're discontinued, right? So they're collectors' items. Sort of. (Listing is ending soon ... )

As to the misidentification ... When I was still busking, and not doing too well at it, most of the time, I tried hauling out my portable amp and a MandoBird, just to wail away and see what I'd do. At least I'd have some fun, and maybe blow some minds. A couple of times some wiseass with a few drinks in him and a "girlfriend" to impress would ask belligerently - "Hey, what is that? Guitar Hero?" As if I could haul a computer to the street and play a toy through it. Didn't think that all the way through. But yeah - the undereducated see something that size and shape and try to correlate it to what little they know.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The neck and nut-spacing of the first edition of the MandoBird was so tight that I couldn't play it – I gave the "Epiphone Children's Electric Mandolin w/ Soft Case" to my grandson.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Blog Entries

I'm going to have to amend my opening gambit. Just took a quick spin around google and these children's playthings are commanding prices starting north of $400 these days. So maybe someone should jump on this one, condition and all. It was at $138 when I first posted four hours ago, it's gone up $30 since then. It may well go over $200 before it's over. That's still less than half what you'll find as the asking price for this "collectors' item" nowadays.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Crazy, man! I think I paid $125 for mine back in 2007 or 8. Also, it’s always fun to see the looks on people’s faces when I hit the first chord run through an OD pedal and my Blues Jr cranked a little, lol…

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Blog Entries

Yeppers! That's what I paid for each of mine back then, from eBay. I think that was less than the going rate at online stores, but not much. I thought its sound could be stronger, but it did all right, with the effects unit I had and Fender Super Champ amp. Getting a two-fret bend with light strings was great, and the textures I could get with the wah-wah were even better. Here it is in its glory.

I had a Mandobird IV back in the late 00s and frankly thought it was hot trash. Sounded thin and couldn’t get it to intonate properly so I sold it.
    Though in fairness journeybear makes it sound pretty good in that clip so maybe it was user error.

I picked up a used Mandobird VIII a few years back and like it a lot better. I wouldn’t call it a high end instrument but it’s giggable and was worth the $200 or so it cost me. I did some mods that may or may not have been ill-advised.

10. The following members say thank you to Librarydog for this post:

I love my MandoBird ��
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Blog Entries

Hoo boy! I said $200. It went for over $300! $306.99, to be exact. Congratulations - I guess ...

Quote Originally Posted by Librarydog View Post
    Though in fairness journeybear makes it sound pretty good in that clip so maybe it was user error.
    Thanks. That was a good night; I wasn't always so lucky. And I am really glad I upgraded. A custom-made instrument with a solid wood body (curly maple) and much better fretboard, bridge, and pickups. Wish I had videos of that. BTW, this MandoBird looks to have a wooden body. Both of mine are plastic - dense, but plastic. Does that make this a better instrument? I wonder ...

Yeah, JB!

My Mandobird is a step above hot trash, but just barely. I had to do some serious saddle adjustment to get the intonation right, and I know there were a batch or two that required moving the whole bridge a bit, but I didn’t get one of those, thankfully. I’d like to get a Mann at some point, but since COVID I’ve played out twice, so I’ve got to get some kids outta college first before I can justify it to myself…and afford it. In the meantime, the Bird offers a fun change of pace and some loud fun…

Lol, I think my Bird 4 was my first Cafe classifieds purchase, after which I sent Scott a pm telling him how great the transaction went. Scott was like, “Yeah, he’s sold a ton of instruments on here. Now go play yours and leave me alone!” (Not really, he was very tactful, but I got the gist 😹😹&#128569.

Plastic ?

Blog Entries

I think so. It's been years, but that's how I remember them. Charcoal grey, not wood tone like this one. I'll try and swing by the storage unit in a couple of days to make sure. And also assess saleablility. I've never sold an instrument, but these are just sitting there. And, apparently, accruing collector value.

I got one as a project so it started cheap. It plays pretty well now with an Almuse pickup, new bridge from Andrew Jerman & new tuners but it's not cheap anymore
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics