Thread: Amp for an Octave Mandolin

Default Amp for an Octave Mandolin

Hello
    I'm having a Headway Snake fitted and will need a small portable amp to use with my OM and so I'm looking for recommendations. I suppose price range is up to £200.

It doesn't need to be too loud just enough to be heard amongst a small group with accordion, fiddle, Uilleann Pipes and maybe smallpipes. Its not for gigging just a gathering for a few tunes with friends.

I usually play pipes myself and I'm fairly clueless to what is needed, been looking at acoustic guitar amps but not sure if they have the right range for an OM.

I do have a Fender Frontman knocking about but I think that's geared towards electric guitar, I can also borrow an Ampeg BT108 but not sure if that's suitable and don't want to damage anything by plugging in and playing.

Sorry if its a repetitive question but doing a search seems to show most threads are about pickups and pedals for smaller mandolins rather than dedicated to an OM.

I'm based in the UK if that helps with ideas.

Many Thanks
    Iain

Default Re: Amp for an Octave Mandolin

I expect £200 is not putting enough coin of the realm on the table..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Depends what the output impedance of the Headway is. If it’s very high (1Meg. Ohm or more) you might/will also need some sort of pre-amp/impedance matching device. You should be looking for an acoustic or keyboard amp. Acoustic amps often have a high enough impedance to be able to plug straight in. If you need a pre-amp (etc) you could investigate powered speakers. £200 doesn’t sound, to me, anywhere near enough. I’ve always had surprisingly good results with the Mackie SRM150 but it’s also outside your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Depends what the output impedance of the Headway is. If it’s very high (1Meg. Ohm or more) you might/will also need some sort of pre-amp/impedance matching device. You should be looking for an acoustic or keyboard amp. Acoustic amps often have a high enough impedance to be able to plug straight in. If you need a pre-amp (etc) you could investigate powered speakers. £200 doesn’t sound, to me, anywhere near enough. I’ve always had surprisingly good results with the Mackie SRM150 but it’s also outside your budget.
    Thanks for your suggestions Ray.
    The luthier fitting the Headway doesn't seem to think a preamp will be absolutely necessary but I if do need one then so be it but I'll try without first.
    The Mackie looks nice but maybe a bit too powerful for my needs, I was thinking of something around 40-50w.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Depends what the output impedance of the Headway is. If it’s very high (1Meg. Ohm or more) you might/will also need some sort of pre-amp/impedance matching device. You should be looking for an acoustic or keyboard amp. Acoustic amps often have a high enough impedance to be able to plug straight in.
    Any amp with a high impedance (HI Z) input should work fine with piezoelectric pickups (typically have an output impedance in the multi-megohm range). I use passive piezo pickups (JJB) in all my acoustic instruments and I can plug straight into my Carvin AG300 if I select HI Z.

To the OP - octave mandolin is in the same range as a guitar. Any acoustic amp designed for a guitar will sound equally good on octave mandolin. I like the Carvin (no longer made) for its 3 way cabinet. It's essentially a powered speaker with 3 input channels and built in effects.

It looks like the Headway has a built in preamp. So,
    no preamp purchase. Normally I would suggest using
    a DI box, but in this case I think you don't need one.
    Just plug into the guitar amp. Take spare batteries.

By US definitions an octave mandolin (GDAE)
    falls in the frequency range of a US guitar.
    The Fender Frontman should suit your need.
    It looks like you do not need to purchase a new
    amp yet.

When you do get to a gig where you plug into the
    sound system, you and the sound guy will appreciate
    that you fitted a pickup.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

Thanks Mandobart

Iain - I wouldn’t be too worried about the power of the Mackie. The reason I suggested it was because of it’s size - you could mount one on a mic stand - and it’s built like a brick outhouse. I’m assuming you don’t want to have to cart a suicase sized box around to small sessions.

I’ve recently been using mine as an electric guitar amp by inputting via a Strymon “Iridium” amp simulator which also brightens up the rather dull K&K pickup in my GOM. Unfortunately, the Strymon in itself would be outside your budget.

Hi Ray
    Thanks for the info. The Mackie looks a nice bit of kit and in looking round a bit more I should up the amount I’m prepared to spend, even second hand.

My initial thoughts were for a small unit that would allow me to be heard with my partners accordion in our front room or when having a few tunes with visiting friends or when we visit them. We have other PA for venues etc but it isn’t light and portable hence wanting something small. And yes the Mackie fits the bill, just a shade out of my original budget.

I’ll see how I get on with the wee Fender and decide from there

Blog Entries

If you do decide to go for an acoustic amp have a look at the Laney A Solo. Really tidy amp for the money.
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/laney-a-sol...c-combo/923621
    They have a direct out for plugging up to the PA if you decide to take it out. Even on it's own it delivers 60w rms.

I use one of their older 30watt kick-back acoustic amps and it's been great for halls and small festivals.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Iain - bet this goes for something outside your budget but you never know - https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...e8cb051315c877 - don’t forget the commission!

Why buy a ford when you can have a Roller? (If you don’t know about AER, ignore the reference to it being a “practice” amp.)
    R

13. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Thanks Ray
    I'll keep an eye on it, along with everyone reading this

I've decided to stretch the budget a bit so who knows.
    So many shops in the UK seem to have sold out of named amps that its awkward finding stuff.
    Had similar problem trying to buy a mixer desk back in January.
    Iain

Thanks Eoin
    I've had a look and I've added it to my list of possibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Allen View Post
    Thanks Ray
    I'll keep an eye on it, along with everyone reading this

I've decided to stretch the budget a bit so who knows.
    So many shops in the UK seem to have sold out of named amps that its awkward finding stuff.
    Had similar problem trying to buy a mixer desk back in January.
    Iain
    It sold for £240 + 30% commission + however much it would cost to get it home. A new one would set you back about £850.

(I have one of the older ones and the phantom power is a bit lacking - it won’t even light up the lphantom powered” LED on a Baggs PADI.)

17. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Mate, you may not still be looking for an amp but I don’t come to this part of the site often so I’m quite late to the chat.

Keep your eye out for a second hand Roland Street cube. The reason 90% of buskers use these is they give good quality sound for the price, very hardy and 6 AA batteries will last many hours of playing. I was lucky and got one for £80 and although I’ve never played with a piper m, I think you will be alright.

Just one thing, unless you spend thousands, your OM will never sound quite as sweet when it’s amplified. Something to work around.