Thread: Article on the Centrum Choro workshop & Choro in North America

Default Article on the Centrum Choro workshop & Choro in North America

Wrote this for the Rainshadow Journal. It's my version of choro in North America over the last thirty years. Your version may differ! That's ok! Enjoy...

https://rainshadownorthwest.com/2022...ittle-village/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choro article.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	200735
    Al in PT

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bergstein For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Article on the Centrum Choro workshop & Choro in North Americ

Wow, great read! Lots of history there, and a terrific job of putting it all together for us. Thanks, Al.

4. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Blog Entries

Fine writeup. I attended the Centrum choro week, a real thrill. Jovino was there and I now play a tune we heard the faculty perform, his "Pontapé".

For a guy from the East Coast, Port Townsend feels like the ends of the Earth, but very pretty land and sky. Bring a warm sweater for April.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

Very helpful history here, Al! As you know, I produce both Django in June and Choro Camp New England and it is remarkable to me the parallels between the development of both genres (jazz manouche and choro) in the US. In both cases there was a happening scene in the Pacific Northwest well before anything coalesced on the east coast. In the case of Gypsy jazz it was DjangoFest NW on Whidbey Island that first claimed a space for students and players of GJ to gather, learn, jam and see some world-class talent. For choro, Centrum broke that same ground and staked a firm claim for choro in the US. Sure, they had some sense from the Mandolin Symposium and Brazil Camp what might be possible, but to dedicate the event solely to choro, that was new, risky...and successful. I don't know what ya'll have got in the water up their in the Pacific Northwest, but I'll lift a glass of it to you. Django in June managed follow your lead. I hope Choro Camp can do the same. This music is just too good and too fun for us North Americans to miss out on.

8. The following members say thank you to Andrew Lawrence for this post:

DSDarr 

Great read - thanks Al. I caught the forro bug a few years back and spend about half of my playing with it (on accordion).

Being land-locked as I am, I miss opportunites like this; I advertise on craigslist periodically and still haven't found anyone for bateria. Which is why the accordion is my go-to these days...

Hi Andrew, I had knee surgery this year, so I couldn't come, but intend to be there at your workshop next year!
    Al in PT

Ha, thanks! yes, it's tough when there aren't any other players in the area...that's pretty much why I created my own thing here. See if you have any orchestra's in your area within driving distance and put together a flyer inviting folks to a jam for beginners in the music. Those classically trained people catch on fast!
    Al in PT