Thread: Case for Poe Scout mandolin?

Default Case for Poe Scout mandolin?

I have obtained a wonderful Poe Scout mando but am not pleased with the case that came with the Poe. I am looking for other Poe Scout owners who have the original case designed for this mando. Just to be clear, the Scout is a flattop Army-Navy style mando, not to be confused by Poe’s carved top instruments. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks! -bill
    BTMP

Default Re: Case for Poe Scout mandolin?

You might keep your eyes peeled for one of the old Breedlove cases - they fit pancake style army/navy mandolins really well. The one in the Reverb link below is already sold, but this shows you what they look like - a nicely made case that fit my Flatiron 2M and Redline Traveler pancake like a glove:

http://https://reverb.com/item/17326...-mandolin-case
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BTMP View Post
    I have obtained a wonderful Poe Scout mando but am not pleased with the case that came with the Poe. I am looking for other Poe Scout owners who have the original case designed for this mando. Just to be clear, the Scout is a flattop Army-Navy style mando, not to be confused by Poe’s carved top instruments. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks! -bill
    Hey Bill,

I notice that this post is your first after nearly twenty years as a member. That has to be some kind of record!

As the owner of Poe Scout #74, I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting to see some pictures and hear some details about your mandolin. As far as I know, Andy hasn’t built one in nearly five years. His website certainly hasn’t been updated since then.

https://www.poestrings.net/poe-74-scout-mandolin

I’d also invite you to join the Poe Social Group here on the Cafe:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=35

Old friend MoreThanQuinn asked a similar question there without a good answer.

Andy had floated the idea of some leather endloaded cases during the process of building mine but never followed through on that end of the project. My own Scout arrived in a TKL hardcase better suited for an archtop, which is fine for home storage. If I were ever to take it about, I’d use the five-latch case salvaged from an old Flatiron pancake. Perhaps you could locate one or post a WTB ad here in the classifieds. Please follow up with us when you have found a solution!

Best,
    Patrick
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks Jill & Patrick for your responses. I presently am using an old Rigel A case with a little stuffing but I just started my search, so I will hold out for what I want. This Poe #64: https://www.poestrings.net/poe-64
    BTMP

Thanks Jill & Patrick for your responses. I presently am using an old Rigel A case with a little stuffing but I just started my search, so I will hold out for what I want. This Poe #64: https://www.poestrings.net/poe-64
    That one has been well traveled, as I attempted to document here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...351&do=discuss

I hope that it has found its forever home with you.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Patrick - I sold my Rigel A to get my Scout from Bruce Weber and I am very pleased with it. It is dated 2015 inside, late 2015 I think. I communicated with Andy after I acquired #64, and he advised this was a special order with extra light bracing for a more classical instrument. As you see, there are no fingerboard inlays and no inlay on the headstock. The simplicity and clean look caught my eye. I am using 10-36 strings and I use the Poe for an old time jam I attend frequently. I am thinking about trying out the GHS silk & steels. -billb
    BTMP

Patrick - I sold my Rigel A to get my Scout from Bruce Weber and I am very pleased with it. It is dated 2015 inside, late 2015 I think. I communicated with Andy after I acquired #64, and he advised this was a special order with extra light bracing for a more classical instrument. As you see, there are no fingerboard inlays and no inlay on the headstock. The simplicity and clean look caught my eye. I am using 10-36 strings and I use the Poe for an old time jam I attend frequently. I am thinking about trying out the GHS silk & steels. -billb
    I’d be tempted to install the Thomastik-Infeld Mittels, which I have tried successfully on a couple of flattops. I believe that I have Curt Mangan monels on my Scout currently.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

For guitar the phosphor bronze set 10-46 is 116.2 lbs tension, the silk and steel 10-42 is 110.9 lbs. I don't have info on the mandolin sets, but in similar gauges the silk and steel aren't really and less tension. As you can see here the phosphor bronze is heavier set on the low end, but only 5 lbs more tension. I would guess with a 42 bass on the phosphor bronze they would be very close to the same. I think silk and steel sound deader and you are not gaining by having less tension.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!