Thread: Some Songs Are Better Played on a Mandolin

Default Some Songs Are Better Played on a Mandolin

I hope that this is the right place to post this. I play (I use that term loosely) both guitar and mandolin, as many of you do, and I have come to the realization that some tunes should be played on mandolin. I like to play old style bluegrass and Scott’s/Irish fiddle tunes such as “Whiskey Before Breakfast”, “Red Haired Boy”, “Salt Creek” and such. I am thinking specifically of “St Anne’s Reel”. It just sounds better on the mandolin than it does on guitar. Another IMHO is “Soldier’s Joy”. Just to show that my mandolin preference is not with out exceptions, “BlackBerry Blossom” just sounds right on the guitar. I am wondering if some of you think the same and which tunes do you prefer to hear on the mandolin, or for that matter, some other instrument?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

2. The following members say thank you to JiminRussia for this post:

Default Re: Some Songs Are Better Played on a Mandolin

I feel that the player and the arrangement in combination with the accompanying instruments sways my opinion more than the instrument does. One combination of these is pleasing to my ear while another combination is grating. JMO
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

You’re very welcome to join the SAW, we love everything, and everyone!
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...=67&styleid=15

Simon DS - Thank you very much for the invitation. I took a quick look at the link that you provided and I haven’t yet explored it much, but I will knocking on their door in the next day or so.

6. The following members say thank you to JiminRussia for this post:

I play both guitar and mandolin and with many songs, I can play them on either instrument with good results. Some play easier on one instrument than the other. Mandolin works very well for old time/fiddle tunes in A, D, and G due to how it is set up. The ringing opens strings on the mando do make some songs sound fabulous. I often record songs using both instruments as they work well together.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Everything sounds better on a mandolin than guitar because the mandolin is a better sounding instrument.

I admit, I may be a little biased.

Well, maybe surf rock. That tends to be custom-made for guitar fingering. But that's an exception to the rule. (And off-topic. ) But there are indeed songs whose melody structure lends themselves better to one instrument of another. That's not to say it can't be done, but it may be easier on one or the other. As to how they sound, a good part of that is up to the player to make it work.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I think you may be able to divide the tune universe as to those that sound better on guitar and those that sound better on mandolin, but I don't think anyone doing this will get a lot of agreement on their choices. And then others will come along and do a killer job with the tune on harp, or oboe, or something.

Take the iconic tune Asturias. It is such a staple of the classical guitar playing world. Players make it sound like it was written for guitar. I then heard one of my favorite mandolinners play it, and made it sound like it was born for the mandolin.

Lately I learned the tune was written for the piano.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Ha, ha, and to be accurate, a mandolin can’t play a song. It can play the tune… of a song.

Thanks for the heads-up, JeffD. Now this is a beautiful tune on the mandolin too!

https://youtu.be/z66SkafeLWk

11. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post: