Thread: NMD - A Jr

Default NMD - A Jr

Since I just learned what "NMD" means, I'll post my own. I bought my first truly vintage mando yesterday, my first A-style, and my first purchase through the Cafe Classifieds. I drove down to LA yesterday (that's Lower Alabama for y'all yankees) and came back with a snakehead A Jr.

The seller said it's a 1924, but the label is torn and the s/n isn't visible. The FON is 8088, which indicates 1925(?). Doesn't matter to me cause I bought it as a player. My left shoulder is giving me problems when fiddling and I needed something to pick around the OT folks. I think it's going to be a fine player with just a little tweaking.

It has a new fingerboard, frets, bridge, and bone nut by Ron Cole. The neck is super straight with .010 relief. The nut is nicely made, but the first fret string height is about .030; hence the needed tweaking. I haven't played a whole lot of Jr's, but this one sounds pretty good to me. Full, but with none of the overbearing low-end tubbyness and nice clear highs. Maybe the bone nut helps there.

I'm happy. Thanks, Dan!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1361.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	200787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1359.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	200788
    Barry

2020 Northfield 4th Gen #14
    Pavel Sucek F-5 w/Skip Kelly top
    1996 BellMaster F-5 (Carl Cates)
    A bunch of fiddles and a couple D-28s

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bacfire For This Useful Post:

Default Re: NMD - A Jr

Beauty! A great A Jr. and a 4th Gen, what more could one want…well a Gil or Nugget I suppose 😂
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post
    what more could one want
    The Dudenbostel that Carter Vintage has in the classifieds ( https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186459#186459 ). To my ear, maybe the second-best mando I've ever laid a pick to. I played that thing last month and it just sucked the tone from my 4th Gen.

I should have never had them in the same room. The Northfield held her own among the Gibsons, but then she met the Dude. Came out a shell of the mando she went in as. She's doing a little better now, but the poor thing is still demoralized. Guess I'm gonna have to find a Guitar Center or something and let her beat up on a few Kentuckys and Eastmans to lift her spirits.

5. The following members say thank you to Bacfire for this post:

Congratulations! I just picked up a 1924 A Junior a couple of weeks ago. The sound is as you describe, warm but with high end brilliance. Enjoy it!

Congrats on the Junior. My first good mandolin this time around was a 1929 A Jr. Have had a number of compliments on the sound. And it plays easily. Mine is repaired, oversprayed and has a new bridge. Still a favorite.

As to more, like Bacfire said, you may eventually run into a handmade instrument that will sing to you in such a way that you have to own it.

Or maybe not. A number of my friends just play an oval hole A model with no intent of getting anything else. And they are perfectly happy.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

As we age, we gain character via scars and scrapes, broken bones and such. Our apparent disdain for such things in our mandolins is to not take their life experiences as part of what they are and how they sound. It is the love shown in repairs done well and the care to restore them to a form of new glory that you can enjoy in their renewed state. Kind of like old person who is full of wisdom and knows that new "normals" are all a part of life. Instruments are made to be played not displayed. They need your love so play them and enjoy the beauty that they are.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Love my snake. Only mando I'll ever need. Congrats!

We have an LA here in Maine, too: Lewiston/Auburn. Small world! (But I wouldn't want to paint it.)
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Love my snake. Only mando I'll ever need. Congrats!

We have an LA here in Maine, too: Lewiston/Auburn. Small world! (But I wouldn't want to paint it.)
    I can see it now "The Dirty Lew",oil on canvas...🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Bacfire View Post
    The Dudenbostel that Carter Vintage has in the classifieds ( https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186459#186459 ). To my ear, maybe the second-best mando I've ever laid a pick to. I played that thing last month and it just sucked the tone from my 4th Gen.

I should have never had them in the same room. The Northfield held her own among the Gibsons, but then she met the Dude. Came out a shell of the mando she went in as. She's doing a little better now, but the poor thing is still demoralized. Guess I'm gonna have to find a Guitar Center or something and let her beat up on a few Kentuckys and Eastmans to lift her spirits.
    Amazing what an extra $17k can do

Congrats on your new A!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85