Thread: 3 unrelated mando questions

Default 3 unrelated mando questions

I hope everyone is having a good day. Here are 3 questions on semi-unrelated topics that have come to mind over the last few months; I am lumping them all into the Equipment category for ease of typing.

1) I am using a Silver Snark tuner on my mandolins. It works fine and gives accurate readings for the G, D, and A strings, but jumps around all over the place (or never gives a reading) for the E strings. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

2) I use the small rubber grommets placed below the bridge and between the strings of a pair to eliminate the overtones. Is their a precise location where these should be placed or are they effective anywhere between the bridge and tailpiece?

3) Were closed-position chop chords used prominently in mandolin music prior to Bill Monroe/bluegrass/etc.?

Thanks.
    Jim Armstrong

1924 Gibson A-1 Snakehead
    2017 Silverangel F
    1979 Martin D-19

Default Re: 3 unrelated mando questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Armstrong View Post
    I hope everyone is having a good day. Here are 3 questions on semi-unrelated topics that have come to mind over the last few months; I am lumping them all into the Equipment category for ease of typing.

1) I am using a Silver Snark tuner on my mandolins. It works fine and gives accurate readings for the G, D, and A strings, but jumps around all over the place (or never gives a reading) for the E strings. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

2) I use the small rubber grommets placed below the bridge and between the strings of a pair to eliminate the overtones. Is their a precise location where these should be placed or are they effective anywhere between the bridge and tailpiece?

3) Were closed-position chop chords used prominently in mandolin music prior to Bill Monroe/bluegrass/etc.?

Thanks.
    1) The Silver Snark should work just fine, but I have not yet tried one on a mandolin. The other Snarks work perfectly well. Have you tried moving it around to different positions? Are you placing it solidly on the headstock, or is it perched at some angle against a tuner body (bad)? Are you picking the E string or are you using a finger to pluck it? Maybe you can borrow another Snark (red, black, or blue) for comparison?

2) In my experience, many people who insert grommets to suppress unwanted harmonics don't actually experience those harmonics on their mandolin -- they just do this as a precaution because other mandolinists do. The position of the grommets is not especially critical. They are usually placed roughly midway between the tailpiece and the bridge, but they are effective nearly everywhere. Just don't place them directly against the bridge or tailpiece.

3) Chop chords were first popularized in bluegrass circles by Bill Monroe, especially the closed-form G shape with the pinky on the G string. These chords were not that common in other forms of music. However, it is doubtful that Monroe "invented" that shape: it was likely used by others long before him. But yes, most folks credit the common use of chop chords as a percussive device (in bands that lack a drum!) to Bill Monroe.

Pick lightly at the 12th fret with a bare finger and see if you E string show up better on the tuner.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Occasionally, I have problems with the tuner picking up the E string. Plucking closer to the bridge always takes care of it.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

5. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

1) TC UniTune is more $$ but superior for Mandolin IMO. Fast, decisive, accurate. If you want strobe tuning for setting intonation, go with the Polytune.

2) I have one mandolin that produces sympathetic harmonic overtones, but only on the D string so I only use the grommet of that one.

7. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

I'm another fan of the Unitunes. Sweetwater sometimes runs specials on them, I think I got one for about $15 at one point. I use them on my mando, guitar, and bass with good results.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    1) TC UniTune is more $$ but superior for Mandolin IMO. Fast, decisive, accurate. If you want strobe tuning for setting intonation, go with the Polytune.

2) I have one mandolin that produces sympathetic harmonic overtones, but only on the D string so I only use the grommet of that one.
    I prefer the UniTune over the Polytune. They both have the strobe feature.

Usually use either the D'Addario clipped to the headstock or a Snark HZ-1. The latter has excellent visibility outside during the day and seems to be more accurate than a regular Snark.

Do like the UniTune and have one next to my chair when practicing at home.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I get overtones when the humidity is particularly low. My octave sounds great just before a thunderstorm!

If your tuner has a mic/vib switch, try switching it to microphone instead of vibration.

13. The following members say thank you to daLimuHead for this post:

Polytune is a better design for guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    Polytune is a better design for guitar.
    Yes, even then I don't like the part where it shows you what string is out of tune. It doesn't seem to work well for me and I would rather simply use the unitune for an accurate tuner. I like the strobe aspect of both and the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Armstrong View Post

Thanks.
    1. I have a couple of the cheaper Snarks. I have not had any issues on the E string. Perhaps try altering the location
    2 I have the grommets on one mando. I honestly can't hear any difference but they make a great conversation starter