Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

  1. #1
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Hello all,

    I am a bit late posting this as the mandolin arrived last Thursday, but I just wanted to spend some time getting to know it and hadn't taken any pics.

    After recently selling two mandolins, I found myself with a serious problem. ONLY ONE MANDOLIN!! So I had to fix that problem pretty quickly.
    Was not in a hurry, but I saw a couple posts from Glassweb here on the Café about this beautiful Northfield F5S (according to the label, NFS-F5E technically). I drooled over it for a week or so waiting on someone else to snatch it up, but alas, I gave in and the nice folks at Dusty Strings had it shipped to North Carolina from Seattle.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5S 1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	200821 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5S 2.JPEG 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	200822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5S 3.JPEG 
Views:	110 
Size:	935.7 KB 
ID:	200823

    Out in the sun or with bright light it looks more blonde and indoors it is more of a dark amber. The two things that appealed to me on this one were the different look and the Engelmann top since I have the 4th Gen with the traditional burst and Red Spruce. I was hoping they would be different and they definitely are. I also didn't need to spend north of $5k on a secondary mandolin.

    The F5S has more of a "hollow" sound to the low end with plenty of power there. The high strings I would say don't cut as well as the 4th Gen, but hey, we are talking half the price here. I love the F5S' tone on the "prettier" stuff like waltzes, Bach, etc. This is absolutely the best F style under $4k I have ever played.

    I added the Tone Gard purchased through Banjo Ben, a Northfield/Harrison strap, and as soon as I wear out this set of strings I will be changing out this tailpiece for the Gilchrist style and adding an armrest.

    I hope to do some quick videos with both mandolins soon for a little comparison.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Registered User webber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Happy to see another NFS-F5E owner here! The Engelmann top definitely has less "cut" than the Adirondack tops I tried, but as you said, it suits the "pretty" styles really well. Congrats on your new mando!
    2021 Northfield F5S #842 (Engelmann)
    1960s Sonata A
    1940s Kay Banjolin

  4. The following members say thank you to webber for this post:


  5. #3
    Registered User Glassweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,973

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    A lot of bang for the buck those... congrats!

  6. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:


  7. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,372

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Drew, if that sounds half as good as it looks, you got a killer mandolin! Congrats! I still dig my Kelley A-5 that I bought in part based on your review of your previous F-5, but I get 2 kids out of college/grad school this summer and am thinking something F-style is in my future...
    Chuck

  8. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:


  9. #5
    Registered User Mando Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Very nice indeed! Congratulations.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

    Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

  10. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:


  11. #6
    Registered User Elliot Luber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    4,142

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Looks like a keeper.
    Eastman 605, Strad-o-lin, and Kentucky 300e mandolins.

    Member, Long Island Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra
    Visit my YouTube page

  12. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:


  13. #7
    not a donut Kevin Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Welcome to the F5S Appreciation Club!

    Love the amber....
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

  14. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:


  15. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by webber View Post
    Happy to see another NFS-F5E owner here! The Engelmann top definitely has less "cut" than the Adirondack tops I tried, but as you said, it suits the "pretty" styles really well. Congrats on your new mando!
    Curious about the properties of the Engelmann vs the Adirondack. What is different about the sound? Is it a dramatic difference?

  16. #9
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Curious about the properties of the Engelmann vs the Adirondack. What is different about the sound? Is it a dramatic difference?
    Dave,

    I won't purport to be an expert by any means, but I did some reading on this before I decided to buy this one.
    From what I gathered, there are a lot of opinions out there that it is really all about the builder and what they do and the type of wood on its own may not be a big factor. It may however influence how the builder needs to shape the top based on the stiffness. Then of course there are other opinions that Engelmann sounds like X and Adirondack/red spruce sounds like Y.

    Comparing my Engelmann F5S to my Red spruce 4th Gen is tricky also, because we're not talking apples to apples there in terms of construction (and price) either even though they are from the same company. My overall thoughts so far is that the Engelmann has a more "modern" sound with a deep hollow thump low end, more overtones, beautiful on the slower pretty tunes but less cutting and powerful on the hard driving bluegrass high notes. The 4th gen Red spruce is more powerful overall and definitely stronger from the E string and up. More of a focused mid range with the bluegrass cut.
    I'm sure it is some combination of the wood and the model variations.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  17. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Dave,

    I won't purport to be an expert by any means, but I did some reading on this before I decided to buy this one.
    From what I gathered, there are a lot of opinions out there that it is really all about the builder and what they do and the type of wood on its own may not be a big factor. It may however influence how the builder needs to shape the top based on the stiffness. Then of course there are other opinions that Engelmann sounds like X and Adirondack/red spruce sounds like Y.

    Comparing my Engelmann F5S to my Red spruce 4th Gen is tricky also, because we're not talking apples to apples there in terms of construction (and price) either even though they are from the same company. My overall thoughts so far is that the Engelmann has a more "modern" sound with a deep hollow thump low end, more overtones, beautiful on the slower pretty tunes but less cutting and powerful on the hard driving bluegrass high notes. The 4th gen Red spruce is more powerful overall and definitely stronger from the E string and up. More of a focused mid range with the bluegrass cut.
    I'm sure it is some combination of the wood and the model variations.
    Thanks. If you get a chance to post a video of both mandolins back to back that would be interesting

  18. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:


  19. #11

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Well, this thread is bittersweet. That's the one I tried to buy but the store doesn't ship internationally. At least it went to a Cafe member who will appreciate it so that's good. Congrats, Drew.

    Meanwhile, I've been doing an informal survey & I'd say about 50% of Northfield dealers, maybe a bit higher, do ship out of the country, so there are some options.

  20. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:


  21. #12
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Well, this thread is bittersweet. That's the one I tried to buy but the store doesn't ship internationally. At least it went to a Cafe member who will appreciate it so that's good. Congrats, Drew.

    Meanwhile, I've been doing an informal survey & I'd say about 50% of Northfield dealers, maybe a bit higher, do ship out of the country, so there are some options.
    Sorry Nick! Luckily NFs seem to be pretty good with their consistency, so I'm sure you can find one that you will love!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  22. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:


  23. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Big Stone Gap, VA
    Posts
    2,475

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    That is a beauty!
    I really like the blonde and amber models that NF makes, they look so good. And irregardless of color tone, they always sound and play amazing.

    I just about picked that one up also, no way I need another mandolin, but a few folks gave it such good reviews, glad you ended up with it Drew.
    d

  24. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:


  25. #14
    Registered User Al Trujillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Southern Colorado
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Every time I see what some lucky feller just bought I get a lump in my throat....

    Love the color on this one!

  26. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:


  27. #15
    Registered User Joey Anchors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Gorgeous!
    2020 Waterloo WL-M “SOL”
    Pyramid - flatwounds


    Blues Mando Social Group - member

  28. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:


  29. #16

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Oh my beloved mando-bro Drew, so that's the reason for the gleam in your eye the first time you picked a tune on Squeeze...you were wondering if she had a younger sister just as blonde. Not only is she a spitting image, but they're wearing the same Deco Toneguard dress!

    Can't wait for them to sing together. They're going to have the crowd enthralled with their beauty!

    C. ~/:/~
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

  30. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:


  31. #17
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    Oh my beloved mando-bro Drew, so that's the reason for the gleam in your eye the first time you picked a tune on Squeeze...you were wondering if she had a younger sister just as blonde. Not only is she a spitting image, but they're wearing the same Deco Toneguard dress!

    Can't wait for them to sing together. They're going to have the crowd enthralled with their beauty!

    C. ~/:/~
    Yessir! I will probably bring both the 4th Gen and this one to Bibey Camp, hope you can make it!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  32. #18
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    I got the tailpiece changed out and added an armrest and Tone Gard. Put on some D'addario monels that I had lying around and they sound pretty good so far.
    I did play this one with a 3 piece group and it held its own very well, but tonight I am taking it to a full bore loud bar jam which usually features multiple guitars and banjos....so we will see how THAT goes!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2104.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	710.3 KB 
ID:	201042
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  33. #19

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    It's a treasure for sure. I'd love to have something like that one day

  34. The following members say thank you to slickmando for this post:


  35. #20
    Registered User Joey Anchors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I got the tailpiece changed out and added an armrest and Tone Gard. Put on some D'addario monels that I had lying around and they sound pretty good so far.
    I did play this one with a 3 piece group and it held its own very well, but tonight I am taking it to a full bore loud bar jam which usually features multiple guitars and banjos....so we will see how THAT goes!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2104.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	710.3 KB 
ID:	201042
    Love the tailpiece and armrest! The armrest looks like it matches the back and sides pretty well too.
    2020 Waterloo WL-M “SOL”
    Pyramid - flatwounds


    Blues Mando Social Group - member

  36. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:


  37. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    only one mando?- how did you get through? oh yeah you bought another mandolin, proving all of life's problems can be solved by simply buying another mandolin.
    I was reading up the Engelman versus Adirondack, and I thought I saw somewhere were Steve Gilchrist said he would use Engelman for mellower tone, but as you mentioned in the end a mandolin's tone is influenced by much more than just the top wood selection. Looks nice I'm sure it sounds even better! Congrats.
    "Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

  38. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:


  39. #22
    Mando-Afflicted lflngpicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,064
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Hey Drew! I just love the new Northfield blonde top F5. What a great instrument and it looks super! Congratulations.
    Dan
    2020 Pava Pro A5
    2022 Ratliff R5 (F style)
    2021 Morris A4
    1914 Gibson A Oval

  40. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:


  41. #23
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Thanks everyone!

    Reporting back after the jam, it was about as I expected. PLENTY of woof on the chop, but a little harder to cut through all the guitar bangers on leads. Overall though, I think it did pretty well. In a setting where everyone was mindful of dynamics I think it would do great. And again, I am perhaps unfairly comparing it to the 4th gen at double the price and the different spruce...love them both!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:


  43. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hey Drew! I just love the new Northfield blonde top F5. What a great instrument and it looks super! Congratulations.
    Since blonde Northfields are getting a lot of love I'll post a pic of mine, but upping the ante with a double-bass

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield_NS5_small.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	201125

  44. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:


  45. #25
    Registered User Drew Egerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Since blonde Northfields are getting a lot of love I'll post a pic of mine, but upping the ante with a double-bass

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northfield_NS5_small.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	201125
    Very nice Dave! Is yours Engelmann also or Red spruce top?

    (and don't tempt me to break out all of the instruments I have for a background photo lol)
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

  46. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •