Thread: Bouzouki at Shopgoodwill

Default Bouzouki at Shopgoodwill

Found this surprisingly nice mandocello for auction at Shopgoodwill!
    (at least I think it's a mandocello, correct me if I'm wrong)

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/143247106

Correction: It's a bouzouki, whoops.

Default Re: Mandocello at Shopgoodwill

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    Found this surprisingly nice mandocello for auction at Shopgoodwill!
    (at least I think it's a mandocello, correct me if I'm wrong)

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/143247106
    I think you'll find it's a bouzouki.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Default Re: Mandocello at Shopgoodwill

Oh, that's my bad. Still an interesting find, I don't think I've seen one on there before.

Default Re: Bouzouki at Shopgoodwill

I had a friend that tuned his like an octave mandolin. We have entire section devoted to the other mandolin family instruments.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forums/50-CBOM
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I saw that this morning, too.
    I was tempted to bid as I thought it might be worth a bid to play some Trad on and for the DeArmond pickup. But I’m not going to bid because I’m trying to save up for a Pomeroy

6. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post:

One reason I’ve not got a bouzouki is their usual over-decoration. This one is restrained, maybe to fit in with a line of other species. Likely had a long career at weddings and fairs.
    Not bidding even though I’ll miss the probable fun of straightening that long neck.

8. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Note that despite the 4 on a plate tuners, this is a trichordo bouzouki - three courses usually tuned D3D4–A3A3–D4D4.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mdowlin For This Useful Post:

There's another one on the same site! This one is missing the bridge and tailpiece but looks like it's in decent shape otherwise.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/143611474

In case you’re interested, search this site for Luna - not much encouraging. I’ll buy random, distressed, not well described instruments on SGW, in fact, two this week, but I would expect something’s wrong with one unstrung, and missing those parts. Perhaps the owner gave up on it and scavenged it. At least if one’s got some strings a photo might show whether the neck’s bent or letting go. Sometimes a Goodwill location will even test the electronics, which won’t happen here. The soundhole is supposed to signify Celtic use and configuration, but you could string and tune this as whatever. Or, as one MC member suggested, burn your money in the street without even having to buy anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    In case you’re interested, search this site for Luna - not much encouraging. I’ll buy random, distressed, not well described instruments on SGW, in fact, two this week, but I would expect something’s wrong with one unstrung, and missing those parts. Perhaps the owner gave up on it and scavenged it. At least if one’s got some strings a photo might show whether the neck’s bent or letting go. Sometimes a Goodwill location will even test the electronics, which won’t happen here. The soundhole is supposed to signify Celtic use and configuration, but you could string and tune this as whatever. Or, as one MC member suggested, burn your money in the street without even having to buy anything!
    Honestly I just browse the site because it's fun - I rarely buy anything from it. I thought it was funny that there were two bouzoukis in the same week on there when they're so uncommonly seen!