Thread: A good mandolin chord book (take 47...)?

Default A good mandolin chord book (take 47...)?

OK, here we go again - but this time I know better what I want. Can someone recommend an irish/bluegrass/folk tune/w.h.y. mandolin book that has the actual chord fingerings a competent mandolinist would play written above the tune stave in chord boxes like a gazillion guitar books do? I'm not looking for chord symbols which don't specify which of the 9 different ways to play that chord on Page 93 to use, or 'cowboy chords' generated by a PC that sound lame. I have a selection of more advanced books to choose from once I get this basic stuff under my fingers.

I'm looking for good sounding chord progressions like a good sounding mandolinist plays, set out right above the melody in chord boxes At this stage, the specific form of music doesn't matter so much, it's just a matter of getting good sounding progressions under my fingers.

Recommendations please? I do have the Hal Leonard mandolin 300 song fake book, although that's more MOR - does anyone know whether the chords in that are what you'd actually play or not ?

Thanks, Max

2. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Marlkw 

Default Re: A good mandolin chord book (take 47...)?

Most books I know of have basic chords at best printed above them (like the open G chord or something).

That said, sounds like you want to learn to play a specific version of a tune and play the chords in a specific position that works for that tune etc. If that's the case, the best option really is to find a teacher / coach and work on specific tunes together. I have my students learn the same song in 3 ways - then link them together. It's a great exercise and really expands chord knowledge. Alternatively, you can just watch videos of mandolin players you like playing rhythm and just copy them (you could do that with audio only, but the video is probably better for this purpose).

I don't have a specific "book" on these, but I have a couple things that might help

Here's a video of different voicings on G C D https://mattcbrunowordpres.files.wor...d-voicings.mp4

Here's a chord progressions https://mattcbruno.com/chord-library/ - note I'm updating this section add some more practical examples using common songs as the base etc.

The best route for your own progress though likely also involves mapping these chords out yourself. Write out the notes in the chord you're trying to play, then figure out where those notes exist all over the neck. Do that for all the chords in a song, then you'll have a great little chord map for that tune etc.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:

Kinshomaxr