Thread: calling all transcribers

Default calling all transcribers

Was thinking . . . what if we did our own "crowdfunding" to produce some great mando content? This Mel Bay book is what got me thinking . . . why in the name of G strings isn't there a companion mando book? Then I thought, "no need to do without is there?". The talent is certainly among us, the funding ability is there. Many other projects to consider too, so I hope this sparks some interest or alt ideas, etc. I want more stuff to play!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 10.26.00 AM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	200885

Default Re: calling all transcribers

Copyright issues.

I don't know how sites like ultimateguitar.com get away with it. Perhaps they have a revenue sharing deal of some kind.

Learn to enjoy music that wasn’t written in the twentieth century. It’s similar to learning to enjoy songs that sound good on acoustic guitar (if you play guitar).

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMaximus View Post
    Was thinking . . . what if we did our own "crowdfunding" to produce some great mando content? This Mel Bay book is what got me thinking . . . why in the name of G strings isn't there a companion mando book? Then I thought, "no need to do without is there?". The talent is certainly among us, the funding ability is there. Many other projects to consider too, so I hope this sparks some interest or alt ideas, etc. I want more stuff to play!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 10.26.00 AM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	200885
    The first step would be, I think, to present a loose query to Mel Bay. Getting the music transcribed is easy.

Better yet, transcribe it for your own use, yo self.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    The first step would be, I think, to present a loose query to Mel Bay. Getting the music transcribed is easy.

Better yet, transcribe it for your own use, yo self.

Missing my point a bit. It's not about getting this particular cd done, (though would be fine with me). Was mainly about how to better utilize the talents within the Cafe to generate more music to play. The recent advent of crowdfunding does open up avenues for all sorts of issues and projects. I do understand the inherent interest that the original artist is entitled to. Wonder what middle ground exists between infringing on those rights and expanding the world of music.

I do tab out tunes of interest on a regular basis and have for years, so your advice is good and well taken, but does miss the intended point of the post, which was more "project" oriented I guess. Great advice though, makes you a better player and trains the ear.

Well it seems as though this site has a tab library already: https://www.mandolincafe.com/tabarc.html

Too bad ultimateguitar.com doesn't support mandolin. They do support ukulele, so it's not that much of a stretch, and it's nice to be able to play the "power tabs" and hear it, not just read it.

I enjoy doing a bit of transcribing. Doing the notation part is a pain; I'm not quick at it and I make a lot of mistakes (especially since I almost never read tabs, and can't sight-read standard notation either.) But it's fun to share ideas.

7. The following members say thank you to JeffLearman for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Not to rain on your parade, but … sounds like a solution in search of a problem, if it’s really any solution at all. Problematic, as in, why is crowdfunding needed? Who manages the funds? Who approves expenditures? And again, why?

There are multitudinous “free” resources for transcriptions. Check out the Tabledit library here. And anyone can either transcribe stuff for themselves, ask if anyone here knows of available transcriptions, or hire someone to transcribe tunes of interest, at an affordable rate.

maybe I’m missing the problem here but I don’t see the need at this point, sorry, just my opinion.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff