Thread: mandolin storage at home

Default mandolin storage at home

No, not another discussion about case vs stands vs wall art devices.
    I say go with whatever makes you happy, its your mandolin.

Back story: new to the forum, but been readin articles for years. I am a lefty (strike 1) guitar convert (and 2) and have been playing mandolin 6-ish years. I live alone, so do not have the obvious children/ pet/ general business other households have.
    I do like to play mandolin, alot. A case is just a pain to drag out and go through the process. My house is 112 years old with 10 ft ceilings, so dust is present as an understatement, making wall hangers and stands (I have both for guitars and mandolins)not the best option: I despise playing a dusty instrument.

I can't claim credit for this, its a plagiarized case for guitars I saw in a video.

I scored a high end, second hand 2 drawer file cabinet, some foam rubber, cheapo crushed velvet, and the obligatory electric knife. I used spray glue (no patience for sewing.)_
    It will fit both lefty and right handed mandos by design (didn't want to leave my kids an albatross.)
    Now they are super-handy, clean, and well protected.
    Total cost: well under 200 bucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220427_135610_9.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	200903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220427_135657_0.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	200904
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220427_135610_9.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	200902  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to don in ar For This Useful Post:

Default Re: mandolin storage at home

Very cool!

Yes, very cool indeed. And ingenious as well.

It's going to slay then at gigs as your Mando roadie opens a drawer and hands you the next instrument!

If I weren't retired that would go in my office. Way cool.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Thanks for the kind words folks. I am retired, and got over the gigging thing some time ago. Now I have a home studio (not super high end) and play mostly at home or on the porch in the evenings. My mandos don't travel much anymore, so stay plenty safe.

Recording is probably the single most humbling exercise I have ever done. When you think you are nailing it, record yourself and sit back and listen. I can not comment for everyone, but for me its 'educational', brutal is probably a better word.

Good idea, Don, but as my role seems to be cautioning folks, note that random foam rubbers, fabrics, and especially high volatility glue solvents can damage some finishes. There are some threads here on this subject in discussions about cases. A secondary concern, depending on local climate, is humidity, and its control.

Nice, home decor finish lateral files are plentiful and cheap or free as people go digital, and maybe a great solution for those with pets, kids and spouses who don’t consider the other options as particularly attractive.

Richard500
    I welcome these comments. Thats really the point of a forum is it not? bouncing ideas.
    I appreciate all of the info, and studied alot of that very data before this project. I have tons of flaws, but patience is one thing I do well at. I built this predominantly outside, and The glued parts were outside (protected under cover of course) for a solid week to minimize that very problem. Pretty much used the lack of odor as a standard. It been in use for over a year, and still no odor when first opened.
    If I were a tailor or knew one the glue would never have been used. Alas, the plight of a bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by don in ar View Post
    Recording is probably the single most humbling exercise I have ever done. When you think you are nailing it, record yourself and sit back and listen. I can not comment for everyone, but for me its 'educational', brutal is probably a better word.
    A bit off the topic. I’m part of a group that plays together a few times a month; individually we have our weaknesses which are magnified when we play together (though constantly improving). After I recorded an evening jam, one member with an overly enthusiastic perception of our sound proclaimed to anyone who’d listen that we had just recorded our first album and it was fabulous. It wasn’t
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Very nice, I did the same for my woodturning tools in a card file metal cabinet. Yours is much more elegant, I just had wooden spacers.

I now have a remodeleded closet, guitars and a bxxxx on the floor, mandos across the upper shelf. Nicely out of site.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Bill, do you mind sharing pics of your work?