Thread: Display style changes after Google search

Default Display style changes after Google search

I noticed that the quick search function now forwards to a Google search rather than an internal results page as previously. That's probably a good idea as it's more powerful for precise expression searches. However, at least for me (using Firefox), clicking on any of the search results gets me to a different Cafe display layout than usual, with the normal Cafe banner replaced by a generic vBulletin logo. This change persists even when opening the Cafe in a new browser window:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vB4 default style.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	200911

I think I have figured out what is happening and how to reverse it. At the bottom left of each page on the Cafe is a "Quick style chooser" pull-down menu. Normally this says "mandolin", but after clicking on Google search results, the style shown is "vB4 default":

Name:	Quick style selector.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	200912

Changing that to "mandolin" in the pulldown menu restores the normal Cafe layout:

Name:	Changing style.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	200914

What I'm not sure is why this is happening, and whether it can be prevented? Is it a browser issue on my end, or a Google glitch, or something that can be configured within the Cafe search script?

Not a high priority as it's easy to reverse, but a minor irritation when using the quick search function.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; May-01-2022 at 9:53am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Display style changes after Google search

Yes, that change to Google results was announced some time back. I'm under no illusion everyone saw that, should have seen it, or knows about it and I'm sure plenty don't care.

The change in layout/look is caused by Google search results sending you to a page that has instructions with that embedded viewing style, but it's not a correct assumption that searching causes this every time for every user. Were that the case there'd be an ongoing riot here. It's correct that all you have to do is navigate to the bottom left corner on a desktop or laptop browser and select "mandolin" as the style to revert. If this happens on a phone, same thing but there's a link at the bottom in the middle named "Full Site" and clicking that will return it to a default Cafe design.

One could argue search results from this setting such as this should be omitted, but the reality is there are a number of people that prefer and employ the default software view as designed by the company, for whatever reason. For one it's a little faster with fewer graphics which could be an advantage on a poor or inconsistent connection. However, if we omit that search result then we're forcing people into a different view than what they anticipate which is no better.

I don't believe this impacts the change, but it could, and you should check what default setting you have in General Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the page here and under "Forum Skin," third from the bottom of the page, make sure it's set to the choice you prefer.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Default Re: Display style changes after Google search

Thanks for that very clear explanation, Scott.

I've just checked, and my default skin is indeed "mandolin", so the Google result does override the settings in the profile. I haven't yet found a search result that preserved the "mandolin" style, but it may be the case that there are more hits further down the list with that setting.

As I said (and you have confirmed), it's no biggie to change the style back if it's unwanted. The main reason for posting was that it took me a while to figure out what had happened and how to switch back, so it may be helpful for others to see.

Martin