Thread: Rigel Q95 BUILD

Default Rigel Q95 BUILD

Hello, I took delivery of a Rigel Q95 yesterday, and have just noticed, (forgive my inaccurate terminology), symmetrical curved joins/lines around the shoulder of the body of the mandolin body. I know Rigel had a unique build/construction and just wondered if anyone knows about this? It looks like the neck and the shoulder of the body of the mandolin body is a separate piece incorporating the heel and neck?
    I don't know if Ted Eschliman can help with this query?
    I'm just checking out incase this is a repair rather than design feature.
    Many thanks. I hope this makes sense

Default Re: Rigel Q95 BUILD

Hello Mollina, I think this might answer your question:
    http://rigelinstruments.com/publish/tour.shtml

Wishing you many happy years with your Q95!

3. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Many thanks for that-very helpful. I'm afraid I'm still not sure whether the join line is a repair or design feature. I would post a photo, but seem to have difficulty sending any attachments on this site. But appreciate your help.

Hi Again, Will try and send a photo of join on mando. Thanks

Are you talking about the curved lines where the top is let into the side/back assembly? I definitely have them on my 2005 A Natural. Please do post a photo.

Thanks for the response. Sorry to be clueless but I can't manage to attach a photo from my ohone on this site. Would you have a photo that you would be happy to post?

Let's see how I do adding pictures! Looks like I won. You can most clearly see the line I'm referring to to the right of the fretboard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Seam.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	200928

To add this photo, I went to "Go Advanced", then chose the photo from my local computer.

This is correct and original. Instruments move over time, but I don't see anything to worry about here. Check the humidity, it may be a little under 45% RH right now would be my guess.

Sorry for the confusion, Marty, this is my instrument about which I don't have any worries! I'm hoping this is what Mollina is seeing on his/her instrument as well.

Thank you very much for the photo. Much obliged. The lineI refer to follows a similar shape/contour but is located on either side/shoulder of the mandolin. Thanks for the photo tips. Will get to my laptop and try to get one over. I'm probably concerned about nothing (You know what it's like when you get a new mando!) Many thanks again

I'm sorry Mollina, I now know what you're talking of. Yes, mine has finish cracks on either side of the neck, extending from the top of the side to the bottom at about the 20th fret (i.e., perpendicular to the line shown in my picture above). I'm not a Rigel expert, but mine has them, they are finish only and so don't affect neck angle or playability in general.

There is a Rigel owners social group, but it's really low traffic - the last message was mine from about a year and a half ago. Hopefully another Rigel owner (or two) will weigh in here.

Thank you very much again for the response. That is hugely reassuring. Really appreciate your perseverance with me.

Happy CT-110 owner here. Rigel's have bolt on necks and their backs/sides were carved from solid pieces of maple, so their geometry and look is a bit different. I haven't noticed any cracks or unusual finish checking yet, though. Agree, if you can post a photo it'll help a lot, but your mando is probably just fine
    Chuck

16. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

bbcee 

Thanks Chuck. Just checked someone else's Q95 and another Rigel. They have the same line. So reassured! Many thanks for your help

Glad to hear it!