Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What has happened to Elixir mando strings?

Default Re: What has happened to Elixir mando strings?

I've used D'Addario J74s for many years, see no point in changing now.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

2. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I've used D'Addario J74s for many years, see no point in changing now.

Dave H
    They seem to be the go-to PB uncoated strings

My understanding is that Elixirs were the only coated 80/20 bronze strings in the market. This will be a real loss to those who made these strings their home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    They seem to be the go-to PB uncoated strings

My understanding is that Elixirs were the only coated 80/20 bronze strings in the market. This will be a real loss to those who made these strings their home.
    This weekend I will be putting on my last set of the old D'Addario Coated 80/20's. Not sure what I'll do. Some say the coating stops people like me from destroying PB in record time. I'll probably try a set of of the XP's. John Pearce make an 80/20 uncoated, so that may be another option, or some of the nickel alloys that are cropping up. I've also had good results with Monel strings in the past. I have two new mandolins on order so I'll probably be doing a fair bit of string experimentation when they arrive. Personally, I never cared the Elixirs, I was more busted up about losing the D'Addario 80/20s. Anyway, hopefully it's true that the coating will protect the strings from my corrosiveness.

Well, the three sets I ordered from Just Strings.com arrived. Plus I found that Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse, WI had them in stock.

Folks that use them might want to stock up now if they are in fact being discontinued. Although it seems strange they would do a run and then stop. But I don't know about the manufacturing aspect of these things.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

6. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I DM'd you for your address FrDNicholas. I found a set of unopened medium Elixir's while cleaning out a drawer.

Sue Rieter....see! I'm paying it forward for your help with our Mandolin Orchestra poster!
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Eric,

I managed to order five sets of the light gauge Elixirs from Dave’s Guitar Shop. That reduces their inventory to five. I know it’s a first-world problem, but it’s a sad day nonetheless. Thanks for sharing. I hope someone from the Cafe gets the remaining inventory.

Tom

9. The following members say thank you to Tom Fuldner for this post:

As of this late afternoon/evening, Monday 6 June 2021, the last shipment of Elixir Mandolin strings -- light and medium -- have arrived at Strings and Beyond. Check 'em out.

Tom

11. The following members say thank you to Tom Fuldner for this post:

Thank you! I just ordered 3 sets so, hopefully that'll last me quite awhile!
    Daniel Kaufman

You are most welcome. My 69-year-old hands appreciate light gauge strings more than ever.

Tom

I have used Elixir mandolin strings for the past four or five years. For me it's all about the feel. I have tried most other coated strings and I have no problem with the sound, but they just don't have the feel of the Elixirs. I understand that Elixir supplies individual guitar strings. Has anyone made up a mandolin set using guitar strings?

Quote Originally Posted by beekman View Post
    I have used Elixir mandolin strings for the past four or five years. For me it's all about the feel. I have tried most other coated strings and I have no problem with the sound, but they just don't have the feel of the Elixirs. I understand that Elixir supplies individual guitar strings. Has anyone made up a mandolin set using guitar strings?
    Can be done, but you won't find a 40 if you're making up a medium set, or a 34 if you're trying to replicate their light gauge set. They do a 35, so that would work fine for a light gauge set. For medium you'd have to settle for a 39.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...2/nanoweb-690/

16. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post: